DRM Damages a Game's Value, Says Valve Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot74rod2003

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
if there wasnt so much pirating going on they wouldnt have to do it. steam is great and they should do away with disks.. the only people that are gonna cry about it are ones that want it the illegal way and not buy it.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Let say you get laid off and have to really cut back. Okay I can have lights and pay the rent but I can't have lights pay the rent and have a high speed internet connection for the time being. Now that game you bought with DMR seems like the most stupid purchase you ever made. At least with a steam powered game you can still play it in offline mode. Don't laugh because it happened to me. I'd go to the local library to use the internet and at home I just played COD, Crysis, etc. single player until my economic situation improved. I'd never buy a game that required a constant internet connection because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

G

Steam may be better than Ubisoft's DRM, but it still doesn't beat a simple disk check - or nothing at all. Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 only require disc checks. Oblivion and Civilization IV are two games that did quite well, and they don't require a disc to play* or even a product key!

*Civ IV Complete Edition doesn't require a disc, but the original does

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Valve has nothing on Stardock. Brad Wardell is blunt, to the point, and transparent about his company. He is the best thing for PC gamers.

I hope Impulse dethrones Steam.

herniter

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I am personally annoyed by both disk checks and DRM. When I want to play a game I haven't played in a few months I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of trying to find a disk to play it. It is even slightly bothersome to have to open up your disk drive every time you want to play a new game and while that isn't a deal breaker it is annoying.

There is also the issue of wanting to game while you're away from home and an internet connection, people that travel constantly or the soldiers deployed over seas quite often are left without an internet connection. Pirates are always going to pirate games, people the purchase them legit will probably continue to purchase them in a legal fashion.

The ideal situation for me would be to limit online activity via a CD key and move on. Leave single player alone, you're never going to be able to stop pirates, save money by moving away from DRM and hopefully the gaming community will continue to support the developers by buying games legit.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
a message to ubisoft: do something as good as Modern Warfare 2 and u will make lotsa money even if it will be pirated... that fact was proven.

why DRM... don't u have enough confidence in the games u make??!?!

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I love steam's DRM policy. No activation keys, nothing (well...). Simply double click on the game you want to install, and bam, it's on it's way. No need to hassle with Ubisoft's DRM crap.

I like the steam and impulse type systems. I have no problems with it. Even Blizzard's system is good.

DRM that causes the disc to break my optical drive, installs root kits, or requires constant internet connection to play I do have a problem with and usually boycott those types of systems regardless the game.

jubalhharshaw

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Ubi and other publishers that are escalating their DRM should hear the man, he tells the truth. Activation limits are one of the most annoying things that the industry created, but Ubi's DRM is worse that that.

Only problem I have with buying games through Steam is what happens when they go out of business (or another system comes along to replace them that is cheaper\better\whatever) if they ever decide that keeping those servers up is too much of a cost you all of a sudden can not verify your install and thus can not play the game you bought. (plus the time it takes to download a game from them is really a pain for some people that are still on slow internet connections or limited bandwidth per month.)

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Like others have mentioned, what happens when you want to play your game in 15 years? Will Steam be around then? Who knows. I rather not have to be tied to a service. And worse, I can't sell my Steam games. This is a pretty bad one.

sykologic

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I love games that can use steam, since you can just put your key in and then no matter what that game is connected to your acconunt, but for some reason it sucks when you are required to use steam. Guess I'm torn. But really pirates ALWAYS find a way. Quite sad actually. Smart enough to hack a game, to cheap to buy the game.

I have been using steam for quite some time and I have 0 complaints. Specially when you purchase the game online, no CD's, no errors, no messing with cd-keys, no 3 installations only gimmick, nada..Just load steam and choose your game.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Funny is that the DRM should hurt the pirates :) but instead all this security measures only hurt the legit game users since the pirates don`t have to deal with drm :)

teslaxero

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
By all the references to the word "pirate" and use of the the phrase can't sell Steam games, I can clearly see you people just aren't getting it... I don't wish to sound rude here, but it seems apparent some of you don't understand. In a roughly $6 billion annual retail industry, 1/3 of that is from the used gaming sector. Pirates will always pirate the game that is not what DRM is intended to stop.

Previously when you finished a game you filed it away and maybe came back to again once in a blue moon. Now you take it to your local chain used game store and resell it. A game publisher used to be guaranteed that everyone that wanted to pay for their game would buy it from them. However in an effort to see a return on investments we used to file away, you take that unwanted game to a resale store. Now there is another copy of that game on the market and the publisher is going to make no money on it.
Some may argue but they did make money on the initial purchase... True, however now publishers are competing for business on their own product. This process cuts into the initial sales the publisher would be making, and therefor the final profit on the multi-million dollar invest they made.

I dislike DRM as much as the next gamer, but I understand what publishers are trying to do. This is why I am taking my own steps to battle the the real "pirates" in the industry and refuse to buy or sale used games. Perhaps if we all took this step we could see the disappearance of DRM procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.