Upgrading mobo and cpu in old Sony Vaio

tlucca

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Hi all!

I need some advice in upgrading my old Sony Vaio Celeron 466 system. I want to change the motherboard (micro atx) and cpu to a socket A micro atx mobo and athlon xp 1700. What concerns do I have when doing this. The motherboard I am going to buy is the Gigabyte GA-7ZMMH which is micro atx and supports athlon xp. It also supports pc-133 memory which I already have. I imagine I might need a stronger power supply, but are there any other concerns in doing this? I imagine it should be an easy swap of the motherboard and just put all the other stuff back in??

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Tom Lucca

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Yo T,

My advice: get a new ATX case & 350 watt(or higher) PSU(read the latest review of PSU's in THWG). For a SD-ram system get a mobo based on the Via KT 133A chipset, I like the MSI K7T Turbo2. Do not buy a faster cpu than the mobo supports. Buy Artic Silver III thermal paste & read it's use & installation instructions on the website. Buy a good HSF, I like the T.I. Dr Thermal TI-V77L-cheap & not too noisy. Reformat your HDD & do a clean install of your OS. Load all your drivers from your new mobo CD, then load the rest of the other device drivers. Good Luck

Peace Out.............tile

I wish my imaginary friends could give me better advice

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I would also recomment trying to find a mobo that supports DDR ram. PC2100 memory is getting better in price, and the performance difference on the xp is noticable.

You dont have an <b>ANY</b> key? Your keyboard must not be Windows XP certified...

tlucca

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
HI all!

Thanks for the good input. Im using this system as a second system and networking both together (already have a athlon 2100+ system) so Im trying to do this cheap. Are there any problems with the micro atx motherboards that I should be aware of? The one I listed is about 50 bucks, and with a cpu about 50 bucks that seems the cheapest option, and I dont have to upgrade the case and memory. Trying to keep it simple.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks again,
Tom