Sign in with
Your question

Supreme Commander: FA is Rough

Last response: in Video Games
December 4, 2007 7:21:42 AM

I just played my first round of skirmish games on Forged Alliance. I picked a Turtle AI on 10K map. First round I lasted 33 minutes and next time I made it 18 minutes.

I've beaten the game on normal. I'm a huge turtler myself but obviously I need some more skills. Anybody else having this type of experience or do I just suck? The AI seems much more hardcore that in Supreme Commander which I was able to finish on hard.

Also, why doesn't anybody ever talk about Supreme Commander? It's a pureblood strategy game to be sure but I never here a peep about it around here or anywhere alse for that matter. It's all about Crysis and other games that are about as shallow as puddle of spit compared to Sup Comm and FA. What gives?

December 5, 2007 5:36:26 AM

I think I hear crickets. Sheesh.
December 5, 2007 8:50:51 AM

ya in games these days turtling simply doesn't work.. no matter what, you have to go on the offensive at some point
Related resources
December 5, 2007 10:47:21 AM

you dont see much talk about RTS's, and people are complaining about Crysis running bad (seriously, 8800GTS 640MB is the RECOMMENDED), SupCom was pretty bad (ran bad on recommended hardware), then there's the problems, 2GB limit (can be fixed), Nvidia shields bug, Nvidia BSOD (patched)... and imo the game is just.. boring. I feel like all three factions are just too similar so I haven't bothered to buy FA.
December 5, 2007 11:17:20 PM

I think they could have spiced things up by making the looks or organisation of each faction different. But I think the differences between the units is well done. Subtle but surely formidable.
December 6, 2007 1:13:22 AM

I played the TA games. I haven't had enough time to get to supreme commander, but nothing says crying hardware like no unit cap.

What in the expansion makes it worthwhile?
December 6, 2007 12:06:51 PM

Sengoku said:
I played the TA games. I haven't had enough time to get to supreme commander, but nothing says crying hardware like no unit cap.

What in the expansion makes it worthwhile?

Mate you wouldnt believe the lag on multiplayer maps with 1000 unit cap, if it gets that far. Someones always got a rubbish cpu to slow things down.

To the original poster: Turtling realy doesnt work in single player because the enemies dont run out of resources and fixed defenses are rubbish against t3 and experimental units. You can still be defensive and win but you will need to regularly go after the computers resorces and power plants. Take some experimental gunships into their base and take out all the t3 power stations you can then go for mass extractors, it f#cks them up the bum big time. If you watch the skirmish replays from their viewpoint, you can see how badly you screwed them.

Supreme commander is a real good game imo, pretty underrated. 2 vs. 2 or 3 vs. 3 multiplayer with competent players is a good laugh. First 20 minutes of a match can often be quite slow though. Important to get a mental list of everything you need to build/positons to hold for a map and particular race. You have to micromanage your economy and units as well as plan your attack and predcit what your enemies up to AND embark on spoiling raids all at the same time. Which isnt for everyone. Can see some epic and very close battles though. Once on 3 vs. 3 a close enemy attacked me and wiped out all my units and nearly all my base and knocked my commander down to his last 100 hitpoints, y which time I had legged it off to half way across the map in retreat. Then 10 minutes later I rebuilt a basic army, and threw it in with my team mates and we won a decisive battle with all the other teams units. Great feeling winning that match. Had 3 huge battles, could have gone decisively either way with any of them. Top stuff!
December 6, 2007 1:49:32 PM

Do you mean Supreme Commander or Total Annihilation 2? :p  I like Supreme Commander though. I am a bit of a turtle my self, often finding it pointless to attack since enemy ground defenses rip my units to shreds. It's probably because I don't tech fast enough in MP though. Sometimes I just build rows of defenses / artilleries closer and closer to the enemy bases while my team mates attack. Sometimes it doesn't help very much... but when the enemy tries to strike back, they often find them selves in trouble. :D 

Not to hijack - I also notice that no many people talk about DoW. I found that to be a pretty fun online game.
December 6, 2007 4:25:48 PM

Thats what I always did in Total Annihilation, build some heavy artillery guns and bombard the enamy base from the other side of the map, I tried it when I got SupCom but it did not work as good because the ranges on most were not long enough, but it still works for sofening up an enamies ground attack :) 
December 6, 2007 5:05:31 PM

Quote:
I tried it when I got SupCom but it did not work as good because the ranges on most were not long enough, but it still works for sofening up an enamies ground attack
...lol, I just got what "SupCom" is... seems so obvious now. I kept seeing someone say they got SupCom and I just kept wondering what they were talking about. Thought it was a new version of Socom or something... haha
December 6, 2007 6:39:03 PM

Usually I just built like 5 factories and onstantly send the **** units to the enemies, I always use the max units possible on large land maps so tis fun, suddenyl they just get 100's units pouring in from nowhere, eventually they start to brake through defenses and you just sit there building experimentals etc while they are focusing on building defense hehehe

Supcom loves quad though, quad core, 4gb of fast memory and 8800GT and you got supcom covered for almost anything.

Then of coarse, teleport my commander into the middle of their base and BOOM! Take em both out at once, then send in those huge mothership things to finish whats left off.

Atleast, thats my stratagy anyway :D 

Lots of fun :D 

December 6, 2007 8:18:19 PM

I would suggest that a person start out with Supreme Commander first and then get the stand alone "Forged Alliance" if you have a mind to. FA is harder compared to SupCom there is no doubt.
December 7, 2007 12:36:50 AM

Is anyone else getting a sound issue? My sound gets really bad after the game getting anywhere near intense. I'm sure all the units and med fedility is also killing my game rate but why is my sound not working. I got a C2D E4300 OC to 2.4GHz, 8600GT, and X-Fi Xtreme Gamer?

I don't really mind or notice the low frame rate much the time, for me the game rules.
December 7, 2007 4:50:36 AM

The AI is vastly improved. You should either play with cheats to rescue yourself until you get good enough, or drop the AI a level.
December 7, 2007 6:59:12 AM

Hmm, how can anyone say SC & SC:Forged Alliance are boring...? If you are used to twitch games and a steady diet of TV..you are not used to focusing and planning.This game can be rewarding if you have the patience and planning/multi-tasking capabilities in your noggin. It's not an easy game..it will scare off those wanting instant gratification. The payoff after building the uber base and fending off countless attacks...finally clubbing the crap out of the other side/s. It's all worth it, Good stuff, I think...
December 8, 2007 6:20:44 AM

It's just that clubbing tha crap out of the other side part that has got me. I'd say that the Forge Alliance AI is about three times harder than the hard AI in SupCom. Thats the one just above normal I mean. I still haven't beaten a 1X1 skirmish yet. I made it 48 minutes though. Yikes.
December 8, 2007 9:58:40 AM

Let's see if history repeats itself and there will be a game similar to Supreme Commander but in fantasy setting. After Total Annihilation there was Total Annihilation: Kingdoms.
December 9, 2007 11:13:32 AM

Doubt it... kingdoms was nowhere near as good as original TA anyway.
December 9, 2007 12:50:58 PM

TA:CC > TA:K > SC

TA is a million times better than slow ass supreme commander.
December 9, 2007 5:44:56 PM

Only if u use a slow ass computer.

Mine never slows down on it no matter what the settings :D 
December 10, 2007 2:10:05 PM

It takes longer to play though. I kinda hate building units that take 12+ minutes to complete.
December 10, 2007 4:24:34 PM

Any unit that takes that long is experimental and can murder half of any sizeable base.
December 18, 2007 7:02:04 PM

I just build like 10 of the Aeon motherships at once then they all done and ready :D 

Usually have like 3 - 4 adv constructors on each one.

Yes, im a bit of a turtler, I prefer to use shields and build up defences to keep the enemy out, usually have a layer of tons of anti-air defences and I use the huge walker things to protect the base from units, tactical missles rock too.

Then just push forward with my thousand unit atk as stated earlier and these saucer babies which just rock.

They devistate a base soooo quickly.
December 19, 2007 8:19:49 AM

Yeah but for that you have to invest in soo many shields its unreal. t3 arty in numbers usually puts an end to turtling I have found :(  Plus even a base that has enough shielding to keep say 4 t3 artys out will be broken by 2 mavor shots. Personally, I go for nukes. Use them to soften up defences just before I make a push for their base.
December 19, 2007 3:11:53 PM

wag2639 said:
Is anyone else getting a sound issue? My sound gets really bad after the game getting anywhere near intense. I'm sure all the units and med fedility is also killing my game rate but why is my sound not working. I got a C2D E4300 OC to 2.4GHz, 8600GT, and X-Fi Xtreme Gamer?

I don't really mind or notice the low frame rate much the time, for me the game rules.

If you are using an on board sound card.. you may experience alot of distortion during gameplay. I noticed this myself on SupCom.. but when I popped in a standalone sound card it corrected the issue. Could have been just "my" on board sound card.. but it was working fine with other games so I imagine there is more to it than that... but speaking from a purely gamer standpoint.. always good to have a sound card vs. on board.. merely to avoid a bottleneck in your gaming experiences when your PC starts to push hard.
December 20, 2007 9:55:01 AM

Bud & myself beat 2 Balance AI + 1 Cheat AI...fought for our lives for a while then started to get a good defence and took the battle to them..
Runs good on my C2D e6600 oc 2.4/2.8 2gb OCZ ddr2-800 7800GTX ,just put an evga 8800GT in, not tried SC:FA yet....or Crysis/CoD4 since 8800GT installed. Cards running at 75+C so waiting for Accelero S1 cooling part to arrive..supposed to drop by 20C-25C on idle and load.
December 20, 2007 1:51:44 PM

Wow, people remember TA:K. I loved that game. I've probably gone through the scenario 5 or 6 times, simply because it was so much fun. Of course, skirmishes were interesting too - who enjoyed trying to get a dragon from every race (thanks to mind control abilities) and getting them to gold? That was one of the first RTS' I can remember that had veterancy as well.
December 20, 2007 6:09:43 PM

spoonboy said:
Mate you wouldnt believe the lag on multiplayer maps with 1000 unit cap, if it gets that far. Someones always got a rubbish cpu to slow things down.

To the original poster: Turtling realy doesnt work in single player because the enemies dont run out of resources and fixed defenses are rubbish against t3 and experimental units. You can still be defensive and win but you will need to regularly go after the computers resorces and power plants. Take some experimental gunships into their base and take out all the t3 power stations you can then go for mass extractors, it f#cks them up the bum big time. If you watch the skirmish replays from their viewpoint, you can see how badly you screwed them.

Supreme commander is a real good game imo, pretty underrated. 2 vs. 2 or 3 vs. 3 multiplayer with competent players is a good laugh. First 20 minutes of a match can often be quite slow though. Important to get a mental list of everything you need to build/positons to hold for a map and particular race. You have to micromanage your economy and units as well as plan your attack and predcit what your enemies up to AND embark on spoiling raids all at the same time. Which isnt for everyone. Can see some epic and very close battles though. Once on 3 vs. 3 a close enemy attacked me and wiped out all my units and nearly all my base and knocked my commander down to his last 100 hitpoints, y which time I had legged it off to half way across the map in retreat. Then 10 minutes later I rebuilt a basic army, and threw it in with my team mates and we won a decisive battle with all the other teams units. Great feeling winning that match. Had 3 huge battles, could have gone decisively either way with any of them. Top stuff!

turtling actually works if you go for the Cold War technique
Ie, building 5-10 nucler silos
with that , the cpu wont be hable to defend, since they usually only build 1 interceptor per section of the base.
December 21, 2007 6:19:51 PM

tamalero said:
turtling actually works if you go for the Cold War technique
Ie, building 5-10 nucler silos
with that , the cpu wont be hable to defend, since they usually only build 1 interceptor per section of the base.

in skirmish. thats what the cpu did against me. he sent almost 5+ nukes. at one time. n half lf my base was gone. so my commander. lol
December 22, 2007 2:22:53 AM

I can beat(barely) 2 adaptive AI's on the same team if I set a 20 min no-rush rule. I lost half my base doing it, but luckly it was the back half of my base, and they didnt get the mavors or the shipyards, I slipped 5 battleships(with 2 sub commanders each assigned to repair them during battle)offshore of their islands and just tore into them, managed to bring down their commanders, then it was just a matter of mop-up. I found the trick for me is to use long-range artillery and target energy generators, since they have the biggest splash damage when they explode, and if you can knock out enough energy, you can stop their metal production as well.
April 4, 2008 9:56:01 PM

I like to play large 40K maps against 3-4 cheating adaptive AI mostly seraphim with a cybran or aeon thrown in. Also like to use the unlimited mass energy cheat. If you don't get things up and moving really fast they will take you down within the first 10 minutes of gameplay and usually at about 15 minutes they are launching nukes. Generally can beat them in about an hour to an hour and a half and thats after about 2-3 restarts.

I noticed that if I don't start mass production of fighters and also lines of AA I'll be sunk right quick.
April 4, 2008 10:12:32 PM

vonhetzer said:
Bud & myself beat 2 Balance AI + 1 Cheat AI...fought for our lives for a while then started to get a good defence and took the battle to them..
Runs good on my C2D e6600 oc 2.4/2.8 2gb OCZ ddr2-800 7800GTX ,just put an evga 8800GT in, not tried SC:FA yet....or Crysis/CoD4 since 8800GT installed. Cards running at 75+C so waiting for Accelero S1 cooling part to arrive..supposed to drop by 20C-25C on idle and load.

Ouch.... I did hear that the 8800GT's run a bit hot but 75c+? thats not good.

I played TA but not SupCom. Liked the long range weapons like Big Bertha and such but always preferd C&C for some reason. I think that the RTS AI is getting better. But they all still have their downfalls to exploit.
!