How to Edit Your Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, well that clarifies things. The problem is, that requires a redirect which people are too lazy to do (or me, :rolleyes:). See if you can get it into Javascript where it automatically does it.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]Wait a minute.Was this a secret, because I've been doing this for a little bit.[/citation]

It's not a secret. People just didn't realise it was there. :)

[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Wow, has this been an option since god knows when?[/citation]

Yes and no! There wasn't always an easy way to get to the forums but for the last few weeks the link has been sitting right there. All you had to do was click.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Has this been there all along? I've seen the cries of "Let my people go and edit their comments!" for so long now.

But will this make me lazy? Will I stop proofreading my own comments because I can edit it later? Tune in again for the continuing saga of a compulsive comment poster on Tom's Hardware.

Update: The continuing saga has been dropped from our regular lineup due to lack of any audience share whatsoever. On a positive note, the edit function works smoothly.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Didn't work for me. I went looking and no edit button.

Ah... It only appears to work right after you have entered your comment. After that you appear to be stuck with your typos.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]You could just think before you post1: Does it need to be said?2: Does it need to be said now?3: Does it need to be said now, by me?[/citation]

Listen here buddy, most of use don't use what your type would call "logic" "common sense" or "decency". So you better take that look before you leap logic elsewhere, because we don't take kindly to your type in these parts. :p

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

I do that anyway, but there are the accidental double posts, grammatical errors, etc. that this is useful for. Glad there's a way to edit comments!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It's a nice first step but really you should be able to edit this without going to the forums. It really shouldn't be that difficult to put an edit button right next to the hide button or right next to the thumbs up button.

Oh well. It's certainly better than nothing but for those of us who don't really use the forums it's not ideal.

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
If it was really there, they went out of their way not to mention it, lol.

Edit:This is more fun that it should be allowed to be.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]aletoil[/nom]If it was really there, they went out of their way not to mention it, lol.[/citation]

No, we didn't. The "view comments in the forums" button is relatively new. It's been there for a few weeks and I guess we figured people would notice it and realise, "Hey, I could go to the forums and then edit my comment."

The number of people in the "How to Use Our Comments and Not Get Banned" comments asking for an edit button was really big so we posted a little something to let you know how you could do it. We weren't trying to keep it from you guys!

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
We could jump through hoops, or Tom's could put the edit button within the comments page like many other sites already do. Seems to makes sense to me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.