History Folder

Good Morning Everyone,

I posted this question last week in the WinXP General but I never received a
response so maybe someone here can help me....

The History folder in Win XP does not seem to retain any information on all
the websites that I have visited I was wondering where this information is
now stored?

Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about history folder

    "mazzie" <lmazzarulli@pwius.com> wrote:
    >Good Morning Everyone,
    >I posted this question last week in the WinXP General but I never received a
    >response so maybe someone here can help me....
    >The History folder in Win XP does not seem to retain any information on all
    >the websites that I have visited I was wondering where this information is
    >now stored?
    >Thank you.

    Hmmm. Not sure. There are two places in Internet Explorer I see that keeps
    records. One is the down arrow of the address bar. I am not sure how much
    it keeps there. I just installed SP2, and only see a couple my current
    session there (I deleted history before the upgrade). The second place,
    keeping thorough records, is clicking in I.E.'s "history" icon from the top
    part of the window - or ctrl-H I think will get it, or somewhere in the "view"
    command at the top will also get it.

    I am not sure what folder this info is kept in if you tried to find it on your
    hard drive, but it can be gotten from an I.E. window. Yocan also specify how
    many days too keep records. Remember that I believe your records can be seen
    from websites when you visit them. You can delete cookies. temp files, and
    history by clicking "tools" then "Internet options" from I.E..

    ...D.

    if i remember correctly- i think the place where the adresses are stored are
    in files called index.dat. they can be found and viewed with the following
    program (with which they can also be deleted) IDSuite
    (http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Home) its also freeware. hope this was of
    some help.

    Peter

    "...D." wrote:

    > "mazzie" <lmazzarulli@pwius.com> wrote:
    > >Good Morning Everyone,
    > >I posted this question last week in the WinXP General but I never received a
    > >response so maybe someone here can help me....
    > >The History folder in Win XP does not seem to retain any information on all
    > >the websites that I have visited I was wondering where this information is
    > >now stored?
    > >Thank you.
    >
    > Hmmm. Not sure. There are two places in Internet Explorer I see that keeps
    > records. One is the down arrow of the address bar. I am not sure how much
    > it keeps there. I just installed SP2, and only see a couple my current
    > session there (I deleted history before the upgrade). The second place,
    > keeping thorough records, is clicking in I.E.'s "history" icon from the top
    > part of the window - or ctrl-H I think will get it, or somewhere in the "view"
    > command at the top will also get it.
    >
    > I am not sure what folder this info is kept in if you tried to find it on your
    > hard drive, but it can be gotten from an I.E. window. Yocan also specify how
    > many days too keep records. Remember that I believe your records can be seen
    > from websites when you visit them. You can delete cookies. temp files, and
    > history by clicking "tools" then "Internet options" from I.E..
    >
    > ...D.

Microsoft Windows XP