Hellgate London: How's the full game?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I played the demo when it came out and I found it a little disappointing. But I have hope.

I was wondering if the full game is actually better. Maybe it was a bad demo (I hope).

Please, I’d like feedback from people who actually played the full game…not from those who only played the demo as I already have played it.

Feedback is appreciated!

Thanks all.

Alex

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
One word: Terrible.

I own the game and have played it to the Final Act (Which is where I stopped... right before the final boss). Acts 1-3 are very bland. It's the same 5-6 monsters and the same 3 environments; subway, city, or sewer. In Act 4 you get a two new environments, but still the same 5-6 monsters. Act 5... gets a little innovative. Some new game play... no new monsters... and a decently cool cinematic before the end.

Now - What really makes the game bad? Constant server errors, memory leaks, and buggy game play. Just cleared mobs for 20 minutes straight, almost to a boss... SERVER ERROR! You now have to re-clear everything you just killed because the server doesn't save your progress like that.

Also, the game just feels unfinished. There are no item sets currently in the game... wtf? If you play the game through as a melee class, you'll probably be extremely pissed at the final act. I'll try not to spoil it, but you have to clear a gauntlet... and one of the bosses flys, the only problem is that he never comes down close enough for you to hit him. So you basically stand there like an idiot and pray that he comes close enough to the ground to hit at some point. This game still is in beta. So I recommend that you give it a year or so to patch up and then buy it.

*edit* I should also add that I recently downloaded the latest .6 patch to try and finish off the last boss and at least beat the game. After loading and clearing to the boss, I received a server error. *sigh*

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
That's what I was afraid of... and thanks.

Anyone knows if you still have to read the messages or is there also a narrator reading out the messages you get in your comlink? That's the weakest part I had found from the demo.

ryanlord

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Sadly, I've heard similiar experiences all around. I think people were expecting a heck of a lot more out of Flagship considering that Bill Roper launched the studio, but HG:L didn't deliver at all.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
So sad. Someone gave me this game for my birthday and he didn't know about the game in general. I'm a big DiabloII fan and by reading the book, they transported a lot from DiabloII to this game. The portals, some of the monsters, necros, inventory with mods and so on.

I'll only install it after my final exams...we'll see I guess.

Since you're a D2 fan, I'm thinking you would want to try The Witcher, if you haven't done so already. On the down side, load times for new areas are somewhat frequent, but if you have a fast box it's not bad. Story~wise, it's "Son of Planescape-Torment" quality grittiness while you're up to your ears in moral ambiguity. Good stuff.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Since you're a D2 fan, I'm thinking you would want to try The Witcher, if you haven't done so already. On the down side, load times for new areas are somewhat frequent, but if you have a fast box it's not bad. Story~wise, it's "Son of Planescape-Torment" quality grittiness while you're up to your ears in moral ambiguity. Good stuff.

Can you play coop (or with a buddy(ies) ) online with that game (The Witcher)?

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
if only guild wars had a way to play it really singleplayer (instead of having to use henchmen or ... people!) (in case you're wondering why I brought it up, because it too has blizzard connections, 3 blizz employees created arenanet, and you also have the red orb and blue orb which is also in hg:L.)

Unfortunately, no - It's a single player game.