Wireless to wireless routers?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi all,

This is probably a 'dumb newbie question' but I want to ask
it anyway....

I have successfully configured a Linksys WCG200 cable
gateway / router / 802.11g wireless system for my home
network, and it works great.

Question: Can I use my old 802.11b Netgear wireless router
as a 'receiver' to give me 4 hard-wired ports to drive non-wireless
boxes on the other end (iMac G3 and several ethernet enabled
printers that don't have wireless)?

In other words, can the Netgear router be set to the same SSID
and WEP as the Linksys 'main' router to make the 4 ports on its
hardwired router be 'hot' and become part of my network over
the wireless link? Or can it ONLY be used as a router, not as
a wireless-to-hard-wired 'converter'?

Thanks

Dave

devarim at hotmail dot com

> Question: Can I use my old 802.11b Netgear wireless router
> as a 'receiver' to give me 4 hard-wired ports to drive non-wireless
> boxes on the other end (iMac G3 and several ethernet enabled
> printers that don't have wireless)?

Just put it in "client" mode. The name of that mode can vary from box to
box and I don't know what Netgear would call it.
I don't know how common a feature this is, but both of my boxes have it, so
it can't be that rare.

Stefan

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> Just put it in "client" mode. The name of that mode can vary from box to
> box and I don't know what Netgear would call it.
> I don't know how common a feature this is, but both of my boxes have it,
so
> it can't be that rare.

Thanks Stephan - what brand boxes do you have?

Dave

TRENDING THREADS