Adramelech

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
I'm still wrestling with the question of what motherboard to get for my Xp 2400+ cpu. The nForce2 looks pretty good.. I've never heard of Chaintech although it has what I want.. a built on RAID controller. The Asus board looks great but doesn't have a RAID controller and still costs about $150.00...brother.. Their website says that it does AGP 8x but all the sites I've found selling it they say 4x AGP/AGP PRO. AGP Pro is not AGP 8x... maybe I'm wrong about that.. I'm tired of having all the components here to build my new system except the motherboard...hehe

Todd F.

Todd F.

DeanRS57

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
I just bought an A7V8x, yes it has AGP8x and you can infact get RAID on it along with a lot of other things if you want. Also, I got it for around 120 so that saves you about 30 bucks.
Hope that helps.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Where do you get the wrong info? Asus A7N8X support AGP 8X, the model show this clearly: A7 stands for Athlon XP, N stands for nForce2 and 8X is AGP 8X. In overall, A7N8X is a little better than 7NJS since A7N8X includes SoundStorm while 7NJS only integrates APU. If you do not intend to use the on-board sound feature and aim for RAID, then get the 7NJS. But I recommend you get the Asus and a good separated RAID controller, there is a new review on this in THG. However this would cost you much more. Or you can wait for a little longer, probably a week or two until ABIT and MSI launch their nForce2 mobo and see what they offer.

Plug & Play? How about Plug & Pray!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get Leadtek's nForce board, pretty inexpensive. $115 at Newegg

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get Leadtek's nForce board, pretty inexpensive. $115 at Newegg
Only it doesn't have option to change multiplier.
<b><A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q4/021111/nforce2-17.html" target="_new"><font color=red>Comparision table of Asus A7N8X, Chaintech Zenith CT-7NJS and Leadtek K7NCR18D</A></b></font color=red>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Only it doesn't have option to change multiplier.
Indeed. For those who wish to increase the clock speed of their 2400+ without changing the FSB, this changable-multiplier feature of the Asus nForce2 motherboard is just golden. Note that the lowest multiplier achievable is 13.5 when overclocking the XP 2400+. For the others, with at least 266MHz+ capable memory, it would be better to keep the multiplier the same and increase the FSB. Remembering to lock the AGP bus of course.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I too am thinkin of gettin the a7n8x but with an xp 2600 with the 333FSB.I would recommend this purely because then you can run it synchronously with dual channel pc2700 memory

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AGP Pro is not a speed but a SLOT SPEC for extra electrical power. AGP Pro supports all speeds, including 2x, 4x, and 8x, as Pro simply adds extra power connections to the front of the slot. The nForce2 has AGP8x.

Even if it didn't have AGP8x, it wouldn't matter, as AGP8x means nothing to todays cards, nor tomorrows. It will in fact mean little to next years cards. A couple years from now it will mean something, except that AGP will be replaced by then. Anyway, I could explain it all, but you won't listen, and you don't have to because the nForce2 REALLY DOES support the AGP8x worthless feature.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>