groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I have a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP ver 3.0 mobo. Everything was going fine for a month but now I have a problem. Everytime I either restart or cold start my IP address gets wiped out and it takes me forever to get it to work again (literally anywhere from 10 mins to a half hour). My ISP gives out Dynamic IP's which change often. So as you can guess all settings are set up to automatically detect network settings. At first I tried everything from unplugging/replugging cable modem, changing drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling hardware and everything else I could think of. The board has an onboard Realtek Lan chip. I even tried my old NIC card but it caused blue screens with my system even when I disabled the onboard lan chip.

Am I missing anything like a setting I may be unwawre of or something? Is there an issue with Realtek lan chips for this board? I know it's not the ISP because my old system runs just fine when connected. Are there any programs that test the ethernet adapter in a pc?

I know I may have a bad lan chip on this mobo but I hope not. If anyone has had a similar problem or anyone who might know what the heck is going on with my pc please help!! It would be greatly appreciated!!!

<font color=blue>Can anyone help me overclock my girlfriend's love toy?<font color=blue>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
not sure what you mean by "wiped out". What happens (assuming 2K/XP) when you type ipconfig/renew at a DOS prompt? Or click on renew in winipcfg if 98? Do you have good link lights? Do you see activity lights blinking on NIC and cable modem?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Yes all link lights are good. What I mean by wiped out is the IP address gets deleted and Windows XP puts the default IP that comes with Windows in its place. I try to repair the connection but it never works. I'm at the point now in order to get the IP again I have to restart numerous times and sometimes that doesn't even work. When I turn the PC completely off and then back on it sometimes works. I'm totally lost as to what to do next.

<font color=blue>Can anyone help me overclock my girlfriend's love toy?<font color=blue>

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I think you messed-up with your Internet conection sharing. Or some other Network setting related to IP.

plus, if you use IE for browsing uncheck "automaticaly scan for network settings" (that's one stupid checkbox)

simonxp

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
I also have the GA-81HXP, but I have not experienced the same issue. First of all, what OS are you running? Per one of the other responses to this post, I recommend looking at IPCONFIG as the first place to troubleshoot. Here's what to do:

1) Click Start, then Run, and type "cmd" (or "command" if it's Windows 9x/ME). Ignore the quotes.
2) Type "ipconfig /release" and you should receive a message that says something to the effect of "IP address on adapter {WHATEVER THE NAME OF THE ADAPTER IS) have been successfully released."
3) Type "ipconfig renew" That will force the OS to do a broadcast for a DHCP server...if the NIC is bad, this will error out. If not, you should receive a new IP address (that is not 169.254.x.x).

If that works, then all is well. One thing I noticed on my mobo is, if the 1394 adapter is enabled, Windows XP Pro has some difficulty figuring out which adapter to use to authenticate to my domain controller. Try disabling the 1394 adapter and see if that resolves the issue.

Also, if you have two machines on the network, set them up with static addresses in the same subnet (I recommend 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 and 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0), then see if you can ping back and forth. If you can, the NIC is most likely not the issue. Remember to put the computers back to their original state after doing this...

Hope that helps.

SimonXP

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Thanks Simon. I'm going to try some of your suggestions and see what I come up with. I'll let you know how it goes!! Although I thought the 8IHXP didn't come with 1394?

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Wow, throught the command prompt the release and renew works perfect. Why do you think WinXP itself can't do this after a reboot or a cold start? This is very wierd...

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Well I have to take back what I said in an earlier post. The release and renew from the command prompt doesn't work when I restart the PC. It still takes a long time to get the IP back. I'm going to swap out my cable modem on my next day off. If that doesn't fix the problem then I know it's the onboard lan chip. Man life without the internet sucks!!!