bandwidth monitoring

Is it possible to monitor the bandwith being used in real time on a wireless
pc connected to my router?
I have a d-link di-624 router and my pc is hard wired to it. My other pc is
wireless. When I use DU meter for example, I can monitor my own bandwidth
but how about the other pc. What must I do or what software is required to
allow this if possible. I've found some lan monitors but I prefer to ask for
your info then to install 50 bogus apps.
thanks to all
Frank
2 answers Last reply
More about bandwidth monitoring

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:37:51 -0400, "Frank" <frankheon@videotron.ca>
    wrote:

    >Is it possible to monitor the bandwith being used in real time on a wireless
    >pc connected to my router?

    Well, there are about 100 different ways to do that. I'm a big fan of
    SNMP (simple network management protocol). You can simply "add a
    service" (SNMP) to network control panel application. To display
    traffic graphs, I use MRTG (multi-router traffic grapher). Dig
    through:
    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
    If you happen to be using Windoze 95/98/ME, see my destructions at:
    http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/mrtg/docs/w95mrtg.htm
    It's a bit messy to setup, but will give you a really nice historical
    picture of your traffic over various time periods. You can also use
    MRTG to plot error rate, retransmissions, and anything else that can
    be found in an SNMP "managed" device.

    With SNMP, you're not really limited to using MRTG to display or graph
    statistics. You can use any MIB browser, or graphing program. See:
    http://www.snmplink.org
    for a good starting point.

    >I have a d-link di-624 router and my pc is hard wired to it.

    Oh well. No SNMP in the DI-624 so you can monitor it directly.

    >My other pc is
    >wireless. When I use DU meter for example, I can monitor my own bandwidth
    >but how about the other pc. What must I do or what software is required to
    >allow this if possible. I've found some lan monitors but I prefer to ask for
    >your info then to install 50 bogus apps.

    Let's see if I understand what you're trying to accomplish. You want
    to monitor the bandwidth utilization of another wireless connected PC,
    from your wired PC. No biggie. Install SNMP service on the wireless
    PC. Fire up MRTG or a MIB browser and point it at the IP address of
    the other PC. If you have a personal firewall running on the wireless
    PC, punch a hole in it at port 161 for SNMP. That's it.

    Incidentally, my favorite MIB browser for just screwing around is
    GetIF 2.2.
    http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

    thanks man ! ;o)

    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:37:51 -0400, "Frank" <frankheon@videotron.ca>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Is it possible to monitor the bandwith being used in real time on a
    wireless
    > >pc connected to my router?
    >
    > Well, there are about 100 different ways to do that. I'm a big fan of
    > SNMP (simple network management protocol). You can simply "add a
    > service" (SNMP) to network control panel application. To display
    > traffic graphs, I use MRTG (multi-router traffic grapher). Dig
    > through:
    > http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
    > If you happen to be using Windoze 95/98/ME, see my destructions at:
    > http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/mrtg/docs/w95mrtg.htm
    > It's a bit messy to setup, but will give you a really nice historical
    > picture of your traffic over various time periods. You can also use
    > MRTG to plot error rate, retransmissions, and anything else that can
    > be found in an SNMP "managed" device.
    >
    > With SNMP, you're not really limited to using MRTG to display or graph
    > statistics. You can use any MIB browser, or graphing program. See:
    > http://www.snmplink.org
    > for a good starting point.
    >
    > >I have a d-link di-624 router and my pc is hard wired to it.
    >
    > Oh well. No SNMP in the DI-624 so you can monitor it directly.
    >
    > >My other pc is
    > >wireless. When I use DU meter for example, I can monitor my own bandwidth
    > >but how about the other pc. What must I do or what software is required
    > >allow this if possible. I've found some lan monitors but I prefer to ask
    for
    > >your info then to install 50 bogus apps.
    >
    > Let's see if I understand what you're trying to accomplish. You want
    > to monitor the bandwidth utilization of another wireless connected PC,
    > from your wired PC. No biggie. Install SNMP service on the wireless
    > PC. Fire up MRTG or a MIB browser and point it at the IP address of
    > the other PC. If you have a personal firewall running on the wireless
    > PC, punch a hole in it at port 161 for SNMP. That's it.
    >
    > Incidentally, my favorite MIB browser for just screwing around is
    > GetIF 2.2.
    > http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm
    >

    > --
    > # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    > # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    > # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    > # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS

Wireless Bandwidth Monitors Wireless Networking