Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

bandwidth monitoring

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 10, 2004 10:37:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Is it possible to monitor the bandwith being used in real time on a wireless
pc connected to my router?
I have a d-link di-624 router and my pc is hard wired to it. My other pc is
wireless. When I use DU meter for example, I can monitor my own bandwidth
but how about the other pc. What must I do or what software is required to
allow this if possible. I've found some lan monitors but I prefer to ask for
your info then to install 50 bogus apps.
thanks to all
Frank

More about : bandwidth monitoring

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b C Monitor
August 11, 2004 3:51:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:37:51 -0400, "Frank" <frankheon@videotron.ca>
wrote:

>Is it possible to monitor the bandwith being used in real time on a wireless
>pc connected to my router?

Well, there are about 100 different ways to do that. I'm a big fan of
SNMP (simple network management protocol). You can simply "add a
service" (SNMP) to network control panel application. To display
traffic graphs, I use MRTG (multi-router traffic grapher). Dig
through:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
If you happen to be using Windoze 95/98/ME, see my destructions at:
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/mrtg/docs/w95mrtg.htm
It's a bit messy to setup, but will give you a really nice historical
picture of your traffic over various time periods. You can also use
MRTG to plot error rate, retransmissions, and anything else that can
be found in an SNMP "managed" device.

With SNMP, you're not really limited to using MRTG to display or graph
statistics. You can use any MIB browser, or graphing program. See:
http://www.snmplink.org
for a good starting point.

>I have a d-link di-624 router and my pc is hard wired to it.

Oh well. No SNMP in the DI-624 so you can monitor it directly.

>My other pc is
>wireless. When I use DU meter for example, I can monitor my own bandwidth
>but how about the other pc. What must I do or what software is required to
>allow this if possible. I've found some lan monitors but I prefer to ask for
>your info then to install 50 bogus apps.

Let's see if I understand what you're trying to accomplish. You want
to monitor the bandwidth utilization of another wireless connected PC,
from your wired PC. No biggie. Install SNMP service on the wireless
PC. Fire up MRTG or a MIB browser and point it at the IP address of
the other PC. If you have a personal firewall running on the wireless
PC, punch a hole in it at port 161 for SNMP. That's it.

Incidentally, my favorite MIB browser for just screwing around is
GetIF 2.2.
http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm


--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS
August 11, 2004 11:37:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

thanks man ! ;o)

"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
news:85nih0d5oem1s6lbqg4lu3b563kejtucr4@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:37:51 -0400, "Frank" <frankheon@videotron.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to monitor the bandwith being used in real time on a
wireless
> >pc connected to my router?
>
> Well, there are about 100 different ways to do that. I'm a big fan of
> SNMP (simple network management protocol). You can simply "add a
> service" (SNMP) to network control panel application. To display
> traffic graphs, I use MRTG (multi-router traffic grapher). Dig
> through:
> http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
> If you happen to be using Windoze 95/98/ME, see my destructions at:
> http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/mrtg/docs/w95mrtg.htm
> It's a bit messy to setup, but will give you a really nice historical
> picture of your traffic over various time periods. You can also use
> MRTG to plot error rate, retransmissions, and anything else that can
> be found in an SNMP "managed" device.
>
> With SNMP, you're not really limited to using MRTG to display or graph
> statistics. You can use any MIB browser, or graphing program. See:
> http://www.snmplink.org
> for a good starting point.
>
> >I have a d-link di-624 router and my pc is hard wired to it.
>
> Oh well. No SNMP in the DI-624 so you can monitor it directly.
>
> >My other pc is
> >wireless. When I use DU meter for example, I can monitor my own bandwidth
> >but how about the other pc. What must I do or what software is required
to
> >allow this if possible. I've found some lan monitors but I prefer to ask
for
> >your info then to install 50 bogus apps.
>
> Let's see if I understand what you're trying to accomplish. You want
> to monitor the bandwidth utilization of another wireless connected PC,
> from your wired PC. No biggie. Install SNMP service on the wireless
> PC. Fire up MRTG or a MIB browser and point it at the IP address of
> the other PC. If you have a personal firewall running on the wireless
> PC, punch a hole in it at port 161 for SNMP. That's it.
>
> Incidentally, my favorite MIB browser for just screwing around is
> GetIF 2.2.
> http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm
>
>
> --
> # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
> # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
> # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS
!