sp2 information bar in IE

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have winXP pro with 512mb DDR and have had sp2 installed now since the day
it was released. I have had no real issues with it until today. I was
trying to get into one of my favorite tutorial sites
(http://www.computer-training-software.com/flashtec.htmand ) and when I
clicked on one of the tutorials that uses quicktime to open I got a popup
about something called the information bar. It would let me go no further
and the tutorial would NOT open.
The information bar acted like a popup blocker. Does SP2 have a popup
blocker and if so how is it turned off? I have the XP firewall turned
"OFF".
This was so irritating I even uninstalled sp2. After sp2 was gone, the
information bar was gone. I am assuming then that it is part of something
in sp2.
Any ideas how to get rid of this nuisance ??

First, if you turned off the XP firewall, I hope you have a 3rd party one.

Yes SP2 does have a popup blocker which you can turn off. In IE click Tools.
If a popup is blocked there is an option to view the blocked popup on the
information bar (I think it says "Click Here" or suchlike.)

It does sound, though, as if you haven't read much if anything about the new
features of SP2. Here's a site that might help:

http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/SP2.htm

Just one of at least half a dozen...

Colin.

"Jerry" wrote:

> I have winXP pro with 512mb DDR and have had sp2 installed now since the day
> it was released. I have had no real issues with it until today. I was
> trying to get into one of my favorite tutorial sites
> (http://www.computer-training-software.com/flashtec.htmand ) and when I
> clicked on one of the tutorials that uses quicktime to open I got a popup
> about something called the information bar. It would let me go no further
> and the tutorial would NOT open.
> The information bar acted like a popup blocker. Does SP2 have a popup
> blocker and if so how is it turned off? I have the XP firewall turned
> "OFF".
> This was so irritating I even uninstalled sp2. After sp2 was gone, the
> information bar was gone. I am assuming then that it is part of something
> in sp2.
> Any ideas how to get rid of this nuisance ??

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

1.Yes SP2 has a pop-up blocker
2.It is there for a reason
3.It was included to do just that, stop UNWANTED pop ups.
4.Tools button on Internet Explorer, click, drop down menu for Pop-up
blocker, choose how you want it to behave.
5.Nuisance?
Why?
If you had READ about SP2 before installing or after then you would have
known.
6.Would you rather have pop-ups?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the information. Yes I do have another fire I use (Symantec
Personal Firewall). As far as wanting popups, the answer is NO in most
cases, but here was a case that I needed the popup. The nuisance was that
the information is a popup and was relentless. Besides that, I use google
popup blocker and it works very well thank you.

Again thanks for the help
"Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
> 1.Yes SP2 has a pop-up blocker
> 2.It is there for a reason
> 3.It was included to do just that, stop UNWANTED pop ups.
> 4.Tools button on Internet Explorer, click, drop down menu for Pop-up
> blocker, choose how you want it to behave.
> 5.Nuisance?
> Why?
> If you had READ about SP2 before installing or after then you would have
> known.
> 6.Would you rather have pop-ups?

I have the popup blocker inabled, however, the bar doesnt show up in the
browser. How can I make the bar showup??? It was there yesterday, but I seem
to have aquired a new search bar and ever since that search bar appeard, the
xp popup blocker has disapeared. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance for your time.

"Shrty" <Shrty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the popup blocker inabled, however, the bar doesnt show up in
> the browser. How can I make the bar showup??? It was there
> yesterday, but I seem to have aquired a new search bar and ever since
> that search bar appeard, the xp popup blocker has disapeared. Can
> anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your
> time.
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the information. Yes I do have another fire I use
>> (Symantec Personal Firewall). As far as wanting popups, the answer
>> is NO in most cases, but here was a case that I needed the popup.
>> The nuisance was that the information is a popup and was relentless.
>> Besides that, I use google popup blocker and it works very well
>> thank you.
>>
>> Again thanks for the help
>> "Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
>>> 1.Yes SP2 has a pop-up blocker
>>> 2.It is there for a reason
>>> 3.It was included to do just that, stop UNWANTED pop ups.
>>> 4.Tools button on Internet Explorer, click, drop down menu for
>>> Pop-up blocker, choose how you want it to behave.
>>> 5.Nuisance?
>>> Why?
>>> If you had READ about SP2 before installing or after then you would
>>> have known.
>>> 6.Would you rather have pop-ups?

First eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs
below, download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com