how to nuke XP's "notepad" app?

Hi,

I've been using an alternative to windows notepad for years (Rogsoft's
"Notepad+"). Now, after downloading this horrendous SP2 for XP pro, I have
tried over-writing Microsoft's lame little notepad with NotePad+, but the
old lame Notepad somehow keeps regenerating itself.It shows up in FIVE (I
kid you not) locations: c:\windows; windows/LastGood, windows/system32;
windows/servicepackfiles/i386 and windows/softwaredistribtion/download/6ca
blah, blah, blah.

I don't believe that some moron at Microsoft is actually PAID to sit down in
a padded cubicle somewhere and devise ways to prevent people from
over-writing an absolutely useless and annoying system appendage.Can anyone
please tell me how to nuke this idiotic little thing (before I start
frothing at the mouth?)

sparko

Hi,

I think that Note pad keeps on appearing because that is the default
application for text files.

did u try to change the program associated with the text files and see what
happens.

Regards
M. Rajesh
..Net and Windows Shell MVP
www.winxpsolution.com

James Mercola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using an alternative to windows notepad for years (Rogsoft's
> "Notepad+"). Now, after downloading this horrendous SP2 for XP pro, I have
> tried over-writing Microsoft's lame little notepad with NotePad+, but the
> old lame Notepad somehow keeps regenerating itself.It shows up in FIVE (I
> kid you not) locations: c:\windows; windows/LastGood, windows/system32;
> windows/servicepackfiles/i386 and windows/softwaredistribtion/download/6ca
> blah, blah, blah.
>
> I don't believe that some moron at Microsoft is actually PAID to sit down in
> a padded cubicle somewhere and devise ways to prevent people from
> over-writing an absolutely useless and annoying system appendage.Can anyone
> please tell me how to nuke this idiotic little thing (before I start
> frothing at the mouth?)

Replacing files protected by the Windows File Protection
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555047&Product=winxp
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP MCE