Safe Mode/Start Options

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I just installed XP. Previously I had Win98. I've been having
considerable problems with my CPU pegging at 100% usage. I want to boot
to safe mode, but can't seem to figure out how to do it. When I boot up
I don't get the boot menu that I got in Win98 that allowed me to select
different startup options. The Windows help system for "Safe Mode" says
to press F8 when you see "Please select the operating system to start",
which is fine, except my PC doesn't show that when I boot up.

JC

How to start Windows XP in Safe mode
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039

"Chuck" <jcmcgar@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I just installed XP. Previously I had Win98. I've been having considerable problems
>with my CPU pegging at 100% usage. I want to boot to safe mode, but can't seem to
>figure out how to do it. When I boot up I don't get the boot menu that I got in
>Win98 that allowed me to select different startup options. The Windows help system
>for "Safe Mode" says to press F8 when you see "Please select the operating system to
>start", which is fine, except my PC doesn't show that when I boot up.
>
> JC

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001