Shuttle AK31 rev 3- why can't it take a XP2100+

vermis

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2002
I got a Shuttle AK31 Rev 3 mb not too long ago and put a Duron 1000 in it, planning to upgrade to a higher end XP when they got cheap. Now, I checked Shuttle's web site and see this MB will only take up to a XP2100 and has no BIOS support for any .13 processors. In fact, they haven't made a revision for the AK31 bios in like 7 months.

Every other MB I could have bought within the same price range supports up to XP2400 and take the .13 processors.

My question is, is this a matter of the MB just not being physically capable of taking a faster .13 processor or is it just Shuttle being cheap and not bothering to make a bios for this MB in order to take a better processor?

This kind of sucks because now I am looking at having to buy a whole new MB.

Edit:By the way, this MB has a VIA 266A chipset and the FSB can go up to 166(333) mhz, so I see no reason why it couldn't support everything up to the new XP 2800 with a simple BIOS upgrade. Or am I missing something here?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vermis on 11/15/02 10:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Yo V,

Think about this: your mobo can take as low as 600 mhz Duron CPU's & as high as Athlon XP 2100+(1733 mhz). That is a very good range if you ask me! How many other mobos made when your mobo can you say this about? Only other socket A mobos. Think if you got a any Intel mobo when you got your's, you would have had to replace it much sooner. How much did this Shuttle cost? C'mon it's not like it was a fully decked out Asus nForce2 mobo, it's a Shuttle, it was a very good deal for the price you paid(but it was cheap).

Next, how high/fast did you want to go with the new XP's? & what do you think a XP 2800+ can do that a XP 2100+ can't do?

Lastly, Shuttle is a Budget mobo maker, they make great products aimed at the budget/low end market. I find it hard to believe that you did not know this when you bought your mobo. They have no real reason to come out with a new bios for this mobo, since they are not making any AK31(or anything with the KT266A chipset) mobos anymore. They are only making mobos with the newer Via KT400 chipset. Check around, don't take my word on it, does any Via KT266A mobos support the new Athlon XP's?

You are lucky. The Shuttle AK31 ver3 is the best budget mobo. I have never had a problem with any system that I have made with this mobo & it is dirt cheap. As far as I am concerned, you are missing a lot.

Peace Out...............tile

I wish my imaginary friends could give me better advice