Cannot remove some Systems Tray icons

There are some icons in the Systems Tray that are of not much use, but am
unable to remove them. I do not see them in Startup. There are two such
Icons :
1. "Local area connection - a network cable is unplugged."
I am not on any network. this is a stand-alone computer.
2. "Safely remove hardware."
TIA
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot remove systems tray icons

    You should be able to remove the local area connection via the bios. you
    won't be able to do from within xp. Enter the bios and disable the LAN
    feature from there.
    As for the safely remove hardware icon you obviously have a piece of
    removable hardware that requires this icon. So you need tor emove the
    hardware to remove the icon. Alternatively right click on the task bar and
    select Properties. When the star menu and taskbar properties box opens,
    right at the bottom you will see an option marked 'hide inactive icons'
    place a check mark in this box. This will enable the Customize button on the
    right. Click the Customize button and then scroll down until you fins the
    remove hardware option. Click on the option and then click on the green
    arrow on the right. Set the option to 'Always Hide'. The icon will still be
    there, but will be hidden from view.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    wrote in news:%23U$v3GblEHA.2864@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
    > There are some icons in the Systems Tray that are of not much use,
    > but am unable to remove them. I do not see them in Startup. There are
    > two such Icons :
    > 1. "Local area connection - a network cable is unplugged."
    > I am not on any network. this is a stand-alone computer.

    My first thought is that you have the option enabled in the LAN
    connectoid to show network status. That displays a double-monitor tray
    icon which blinks the in or out monitor depending on the direction of
    traffic flow. However, if you ever disable the LAN connectoid then that
    tray icon disappear until you reenable the LAN connectoid. Since
    disabling the LAN connectoid makes its tray icon disappear, if that
    option were enabled, then you could not see "network cable is unplugged"
    because that tray icon wouldn't be there anymore. So I suspect you have
    a firewall that is reporting that status using its tray icon.

    > 2. "Safely remove hardware."

    I think this is the USB controller icon. You have something USB plugged
    in. This lets you click on that USB controller icon so you can
    disconnect the USB device before physically unplugging it. Some devices
    don't work well if you simply yank them out of the USB port before you
    logically disconnect them. Look at your USB devices. I have a memory
    stick (acts like a drive). It has an option to disconnect without me
    having to do it manually (i.e., I can just yank the USB stick). I think
    USB hard drives have the option to disconnect automatically (which means
    you cannot have its cache enabled since it wouldn't get flushed - since
    there is no way to physically bar you from unplugging the USB cable
    before the device would detect that action and flush its cache before
    letting you physically yank the USB cable). Double-click the USB tray
    icon to see what USB devices it is monitoring.

    > Double-click the USB tray icon to see what USB devices it is monitoring.

    It is the Motorola Cable Modem. Thats my internet connection.

    wrote in news:u4HFIqklEHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    >> Double-click the USB tray icon to see what USB devices it is
    >> monitoring.
    >
    > It is the Motorola Cable Modem. Thats my internet connection.

    If you don't want to see it then hide it. Right-click on the Taskbar,
    select Properties, and use the Customize button to select Always Hide
    for that tray icon. I don't know if the properties for the device in
    Device Manager has an option to hide that icon (by setting some behavior
    that will make the USB controller ignore the status of the USB-connected
    device).

    If I can't get rid of them, then I'll go ahead and hide them. My original
    intention was to get rid of them from the Systems Tray so that they do not
    get loaded up during startup and start to waste resourses.

    > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com>
    > wrote in news:u4HFIqklEHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    > >> Double-click the USB tray icon to see what USB devices it is
    > >> monitoring.
    > >
    > > It is the Motorola Cable Modem. Thats my internet connection.
    >
    > If you don't want to see it then hide it. Right-click on the Taskbar,
    > select Properties, and use the Customize button to select Always Hide
    > for that tray icon. I don't know if the properties for the device in
    > Device Manager has an option to hide that icon (by setting some behavior
    > that will make the USB controller ignore the status of the USB-connected
    > device).

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Systems Icons Windows XP