PunkBuster memory leak

Wareyore

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I'm surprised sites like this have not picked up on the problems PunkBuster has caused across the board for client systems running their software. This issue was discovered in the Americas Army community forums and has been confirmed to exist in newer games such as COD4.

http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?t=264355

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cG-M4RNbbjc&eurl=http://video.aol.com/video-detail/punkbuster-memory-leak/1617094375

Evenbalance has repeatedly blamed the user's, their hardware, software and even the games as the cause for the memory leak and other performance issues traced back to their software. At this point they simply ignore our trouble tickets.

12/06/2007 19:57:30 - "Wareyore"
Note #5: Is this ticket still open?
11/29/2007 20:00:27 - "Wareyore"
Note #4: Where in WinXp can I find a utility that will provide a true picture of memory usage?
11/28/2007 05:49:32 - "Wareyore"
Note #3: Performance degrades over time. Usually takes 30-45 minutes for the effects to become evident. First signs are an increase in HD usage. Game becomes less fluid and starts stuttering. Likely due to increased swap file activity.
11/26/2007 13:23:02 - "Wouter Tromp"

Note #2: By memory leak, do you also experience any slowdowns as a result of this memory leak? The memory usage displayed with the Windows Task Manager does not always represent a true picture of the actual memory usage.
11/23/2007 20:09:19 - "Wareyore"
Note #1: Ticket submitted to support staff.

Since the list of PunkBuster supported software is long we believe there are hundreds maybe thousands of gamers affected by this. Maybe your team can get some answers from them. They ignore us.

Thanks

h0b0

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Wow that's incredible... not that I'm surprised that PB would let something like this slip.

PB is trash

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I quite playing Bf2 because it would start lagging after a whiel and than just get worse. Now I know its due to Pb not the game itself. Also, anyone notice how if you play a game with PB after your done you have to manually turn of punk buster?

Wareyore

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I'm surprised more people are not concerned about this. I guess either people don't know how a memory leak compromises their system or they don't care.

This is not just an AA or COD4 issue, either. It's likely that if you play any of the following games online with PB services enabled you are subject to their software compromising/corrupting your system:

America's Army
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield Vietnam
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 4
Crysis
DOOM 3
Enemy Territory
Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars
F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Prey
Quake III Arena
Quake 4
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Soldier of Fortune II
War Rock

Pollux

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
I play BF2142 on a regular occasion and personally, I haven't noticed anything special while or after I'm done playing.

illram

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Yup, I can confirm something like this happens to me but it's instantaneous, not after playing for a while. Updating w/ Pbsetup and Rebooting seems to fix it. I also do notice that PB is still a running process after I stop CoD4, very annoying.

Many online players complain of similar problems. Would it be an accurate criticism to say that a final release of software really shouldn't have such widespread and glaring problems like this? Especially a secondary, arguably unnecessary utility whose only function is stopping cheating?

Wareyore

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Still no response from PB . . .

12/13/2007 21:58:06 - "Wareyore"
Note #6: Can someone please provide an answer to my question in note 4? Can someone please provide an update on the status of this trouble ticket?
Note #4: Where in WinXp can I find a utility that will provide a true picture of memory usage?
Note #3: Performance degrades over time. Usually takes 30-45 minutes for the effects to become evident. First signs are an increase in HD usage. Game becomes less fluid and starts stuttering. Likely due to increased swap file activity.
Note #2: By memory leak, do you also experience any slowdowns as a result of this memory leak? The memory usage displayed with the Windows Task Manager does not always represent a true picture of the actual memory usage.

Wareyore

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
PB fixed a server side memory leak related to COD4 servers late last month.
Monday 11.26.2007 [4:00PM]

Version 1.470 of the PB Server for COD4 has been released to our PB Master Servers for auto-update and to our website download page. This version addresses a memory leak reported by admins running the prior version.

Full release note history:
http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=support-cod4.php

Can any AA server admins confirm there is NOT a memory leak present in PB enabled AA servers?

Are there any other game types running servers with known PB caused memory leaks?

It's obvious EB knows PB is causing memory leaks. Memory leaks in software are known to compromise users systems by opening the door to exploits we otherwise would not be exposed to. Software developers know the exploits a memory leak can cause and patch such instances immediately.

If EB coded for Vista and can't get their software to work right with XP then they need to fix it, fork it (separate XP and Vista versions) or roll it back until they find a solution.

EB has pointed their finger at nearly everything possible and have yet to admit to us there is a problem with their software. They blame us, our "crap" systems, operating systems, hardware, drivers, the game developers . . . when will it end? They offer no information and have stopped responding to their own "support" system.

The game devs are silent. The mods here have told us they can't comment on what they know. Fine, behaving in this manner makes the game developers equally culpable as they appear to have knowledge of the issue yet act in a reckless manner by consciously disregarding the risk this poses to their users. It's time the developers decide to take responsibility for their vendors’ poor performance and dismal customer service. Game developers who allow this type of vendor to operate in this manner should be held accountable for their lack of action.

I think the risk of embarrassment to the game devs alone would make them bring this vendor to heel. Instead they ask us to spread the word about PB caused memory leaks in an effort to embarrass their vendor. They want US to do THEIR job? They want US to fix problems THEIR VENDOR created?

Why would they do this? One word: Money.

I posted a list of software titles "supported" by PB. How much would an average user pay for each of those titles? How much would we pay for all of them? As a consumer, I expect a little more for my money than to be ignored by the game dev’s and their vendor.

However, the several hundred or even thousand dollars I may spend for software is nothing compared to the value of the contracts companies like EB have with game developers. Until there is a clear issue of liability (We could lose money if we don’t fix this) no company is going to act. There may be some saber rattling, but too much of that from one company or the other damages all and can lead to other liabilities (legitimate lawsuits). So, they dust off a few disgruntled users. Besides, those disgruntled users left their claims at the door when they agreed to the EULA, right?

At least AA was free. And it’s been fun. We can all thank the great game devs and the fantastic community that supports it. There are many good people still trying to do what they can. However, this is a recruiting tool. The audience for this tool is likely playing much more console games as compared to PC games, wouldn’t you say? So, their focus is shifting accordingly.

I do feel sorry for the clans and individuals that pay for servers, however. They are stuck with bills for honor and for servers that are crippled with EB’s poor software. Not to mention the fact that their users, the players, can’t get in or stay in their servers for very long. And even if they do, along comes a hacker or cheat to ruin it. All that sacrifice in performance and exposure to exploits and they still have to contend with the very thing all this effort was supposed to eradicate. How ironic. I wonder . . . have the hackers made use of the memory leaks?

Oh well, enough of this ranting. I’m off to play Team Fortress 2. I picked up the Orange Box for $25 at Best Buy. It runs smooth as glass on my system (you know the one with the faulty Windows Task Manager that does not always represent a true picture of the actual memory usage, according to PunkBuster). It’s fun to play and best of all no PunkBuster!

Wareyore

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
They still have not bothered to respond. Good luck unwrapping and installing all those PB "supported" games tomorrow.

12/20/2007 19:35:51 - "Wareyore"
Note #7: I've been very patient. Please provide an answer to my question in Note 4?
12/13/2007 21:58:06 - "Wareyore"
Note #6: Can someone please provide an answer to my question in note 4? Can someone please provide an update on the status of this trouble ticket?

Pist

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
I just wish some other Anti cheat would come out, maybe then Punkbuster would step up and do a better job.

Does anyone know how much it cost to add punkbuster to a game, i tried contacting evenbalance but they won't give out that kind of info.
Guess their too afraid someone will start up a new company and do a better job for less money.
We could always out source our video games anti cheat protection. =p

Wareyore

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
You hit the nail on the head there. EB has a virtual monopoly as far as off the shelf multiplayer anticheat software goes. They are the only game in town unless you develop your own solution in house. Most game dev's do not want to deal with the AC aspect of their own games. So, we end up stuck with PB. Our only other choice is to not use their software.

Too bad there's not some other group talented enough to give them some competition.