GIGABYTE -- 8PE667 - ULTRA ???

PC_GEEK

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I just bot Gigabyte 8pe667 Ultra mobo plus P4 2.40 B , 512 MB 333DDR samsung memory , WD 80 GB 8MB cache hard drive.
Is this is good setup ????

Please let me know !!!

:smile: <b> Thanks .</b>

:cool: :cool: <font color=blue><b> PC_GEEK </b></font color=blue> :smile: :smile:

<font color=red><b> UNREAL II </b></font color=red>

PC_GEEK

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Thanks halkebul !

:cool: :cool: <font color=blue><b> PC_GEEK </b></font color=blue> :smile: :smile:

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I have the same setup up except I have 2 of the WD drives over RAID, and I'm using Mushkin instead of samsung. I posted a thread in this forum showing a membench from Sandra. I was running at 3ghz even at one point, but bumped it back and am sitting around 2.9. My mem bandwith is over 3100MB/s. I hit 37 degrees C under load and I'm about 35 idle. I have a Volcano 7+ and 4 TT smart case fans in an Antec 1040 (very modded) case.
If you have any other questions for me, just let me know.

Great choice GEEK! :tongue:

PC_GEEK

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
:smile: Thanks DrJeckyl , but away can I put one hard drive over RAID and which mode 0,1,0+1 ?????

0 = ??????
1 = ??????
0+1 = ??????

:cool: Thanks !!!!!! :cool:

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Mine are running in RAID 0...I wanted the speed :tongue:
You need 2 hard drives or more to run over RAID.
Enjoy the board!!

oops, forgot to tell you what the RAID modes were:

<b>0= data spread over 2 drives (speed)</b>
ex. say I'm saving a file to disk, it will take pieces
of the file and place the pieces on both drives
(entire file or folder won't exist on one drive)
allowing it to write faster for you have the band-
width of 2 drives.
<b>1= identical data written to 2 drives--mirrored (integrity/reliable)</b>
ex. I save a file to disk and the file is written in
it's entirety to one drive, and the entire file
is written to the second drive as well. So I have
an identical copy of the file on both drives.
<b>0+1= data spread over 2 drives, and mirrored by 2 drives (speed+integrity)</b>
ex. I save a file to disk and the file is spread over
the first 2 drives, just like RAID 0. The
indentical file is written to the last 2 drives
in the same manner, spread over 2 drives, but
mirroring the first 2, hence RAID +1.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DrJeckyl on 11/16/02 10:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

PC_GEEK

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
:cool: Thank you DrJeckyl.

<b>You are the man !!!!!</b>

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
This is nearly identical to the rig I am planning on building. Why did you decide to go with Mushkin over Corsair? Also, since this is my first build, how do you know which memory sticks to get? I am planning on 512 MB, made up of 2 Corsair 3200 256 MB sticks, but do I get 64x64, 64x32, etc.? That's where I get confused :(.

polyphon

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Yes, I'd like to know the same -- why Mushkin over Corsair?

And...64x64, 64x32? I've gotten the impression that what's most important is to get CAS 2.

Barry Sindlinger
"Giving Pianists the <i>Keys</i> to...
Unlock your <b>Unique</b> Brilliance,
<b>Transcend</b> ROTE Teaching and
<b>Create</b> audience-Dazzling ORIGINAL Performances"

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Well, both memory modules are certified to run on the board. I chose the mushkin for I could get a PC2700 2-5-2-2 for the same price as the Corsair PC3200 2-5-3-3. I knew that running at PC3200 speeds I could most likely get it to run at 2-5-3-3 or even better for a better price. Also, the Mushkin modules are low density modules which make them more stable and make them easier to overclock. That should answer your last question.
As most people have been saying in this forum, the PC3200 is just overclocked PC2700 for there's no standard for PC3200 yet. As I stated in a previous poast, my system is running at 2.9ghz/400mhz (2-5-3-3) rock solid stable 24/7.

Great board, enjoy!

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
In respect to how much memory to get, that depends on what type of user you are. I would suggest nothing less than 512 under windows XP. I multi-task a lot and I run chem. emulation software, so I went with 512. And on top of that I still find myself bumping up my virtual mem settings, so I think I may even be purchasing mem in the near future.

Now, whether to buy 2 stix or one is a different issue; it's a trade off. If you buy one stick you get more stability. If you purchase 2 stix, you have a backup in case one goes bad and you have to wait for a replacement. Also with 2 stix, you leave yourself ready for the new dual channel ddr boards that are starting to appear (on a side note, if you're interested in one of these new dual channel boards, I would wait until the second generation of them comes out or for the bios to mature for them. Current preliminary tests don't show the performance I had hoped for with the new chipset. The mem controller on the GA-PE667U is very efficient and, if you've been paying attention to the latest news, you'll see that this chipset stays very close to the new chipset, and that's not considering the speed I'm running my system out now).

In reguards to latency, yes, CAS2 is better than 2.5 or 3.0. Most of the well known companies have modules that will run at 400mhz CAS2 now. You would do just fine with Corsair or Mushkin. Just to give u an idea of how much timings affect performance, at 350 mhz running at 2-5-2-2 gave me 45megs of additional bandwith over running 2-5-3-3.

Enjoy the hunt...

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Ah, that raises a question from me, building my own new system this January...

How do you find out about density on a memory stick? I know there are ways and ways of implementing a memory stick with the same amount of memory on it... Mushkin I don't have here in Oz, how about Crucial?

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Most of the more reputable companies make modules of different densities. You'll just have to look at the specs for the specific module that you intend to buy. Look at either the crucial website, or the site of the vendor from which you are purchasing the module. Crucial is good, just make sure that you get a low density crucial module.
In the case of my Mushkin module, it's a 32M x 64 DDR module which is built with 8 32M x 8 bit SDRAM chips--dual banked, dual sided. They make higher density modules, but they don't overclock as well, and won't run with the aggressive timings that this module can run at.

Good luck...

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
So, am I correct in assuming that a low-density ram-stick has fewer modules of ram? Or does it have a greater number of modules with less ram per module?

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.

CzeRt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
Just bought this mobo plus P4 2.53 and Corsair XMS 512MB C2.5 PC3200. The problem is when I start the computer there is no picture. I'm using GeForce2 MX400 32MB, but I'm sure the card is OK. Any idea what's wrong with it.

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Lower density modules usually have more ram chips on the module. (ex. 16M vs 32M vs 64M chips--if you use 64M chips, higher density, you would need less mem chips on the module in comparison to 32M chips. This is cheaper for the manufacturer.)

To help with the video issue, you should reseat your vid card. If that doesn't work, I'd get ahold of another vid card just to try it out in the board and go from there, if you really think it's the vid card. Just because you don't see a picture, doesn't mean it's the vid card.
Give us more info. as to what happens when you turn the computer on and we can help you better.

Good luck...

CzeRt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
I'm using 64Mx64. I have reset the card many times, but that didn't help. The card is OK, cause I'm using it, while writing this message, on a ECS board, so i think that's not the problem. When I start my new computer everything seems ok. All fans, HDD and memory led turn on. But the monitor tells me "no input signal".

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Do you hear any beeps when the computer attempts to boot? I would swap out parts one by one starting with the RAM. If you have extra parts, or if u have friend willing to help you out in swapping parts, that would be a way to rule out individual components.

CzeRt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
No, I don't hear any beep. Should I? The PC speaker is plugged in. I tried 256MB SDRAM 133 stick.I also tried removing second HDD both CD drives and FDD. I don't have any PCIs. That also didn't Help. I don't know anyone to swap parts with.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CzeRt on 11/30/02 08:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Ok, so far we know that the vid card works in another computer. We know that there are no issues with add-ons, for you disconnected all of them. You've tried a different stick of RAM. I know the odds are low of both sticks being bad, but are you sure the other stick is good? Next I would try using a different power supply. If that doesn't work, I'd try another CPU (even though this may be hard to get ahold of if you don't have another system or someone that is willing to just let u pop their cpu in your board, or your cpu in their board.)
If you do all of these things and you still don't get the system to post, I'd RMA the board.

Good luck!

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Sorry, I didn't know that was a 2x only card. That is your problem. The board will not boot with anything under a 4x card. Odd though, for I had built computers for people in the past with a GF2 MX card and they did run at 4x. Just for curiosity, could you tell me which manufacturer made your board? (i.e. MSI, ABIT, Elsa Gladiac, etc.)

CzeRt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
My GeForce2 runs at AGP 4x now on ECS mobo, but as someone said the Gygabits bios might be defaulted to AGP 2x. But if u say it doesn't support AGP 2x, than thats not it. I'll try a different card in about 2 hours.
I don't know who the manufacturer is.

CzeRt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
I just tried brand new GeForce4 TI 4200, but theres still no screen. The CPU and power suply is also new, so i don't think there's the problem. The other stick is ok too. So it's not CPU, GPU, memory, so what else could it be?

CzeRt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
OMG! I found it. The only thing i did not check, cause I was sure I installed it right, was the CPU, but i was wrong. I probably did not pull the rod enough and did not lock the CPU in the socket. Thanx for help though.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CzeRt on 12/01/02 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>