Connecting a router to a wireless ISP

I have a connection to an ISP using a Dlink 520+ PC card in a PC which works
(most of the time) to connect to the Internet, for example for Outlook and
Internet
Explorer.

I want to use a an ASUS WL500g router so that I can use other PCs as well
(and not have a power hungry and unreilable Windows PC on all the time).

I have swapped the antenna cable from the PC card to the router.

I know the static IP of several PCs, including one IP 192.168.0.3 (subnet
mask 255.255.255.0) that I can use to control the setup of the router, whose
IP address I have set to 192.168.0.32.

I know the MAC of the remote wireless device, its SSID name, IP address
10.0.3.254, the WEP key.hex string, the ISP's DNS 217.17.48.1.

The router can be pinged OK, and the setting made and saved, but I can't
ping any external IP addresses, which suggests that the wireless link is not
working - but it was using the PC card and nothing else has changed.

Whereas on the PC Dlink card , there is a tool to see wireless strength
signals, on the router I haven't found any equivalent on the router.

Please can anyone advise the settings I should use to
enable this. I have tried lots of unsucessful combinations :-(

Suggestions on how to proceed please.

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul A Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB UK

    Paul A Bristow wrote:

    > I have a connection to an ISP using a Dlink 520+ PC card in a PC which works
    > (most of the time) to connect to the Internet, for example for Outlook and
    > Internet
    > Explorer.
    >
    > I want to use a an ASUS WL500g router so that I can use other PCs as well
    > (and not have a power hungry and unreilable Windows PC on all the time).
    >
    > I have swapped the antenna cable from the PC card to the router.
    >
    > I know the static IP of several PCs, including one IP 192.168.0.3 (subnet
    > mask 255.255.255.0) that I can use to control the setup of the router, whose
    > IP address I have set to 192.168.0.32.
    >
    > I know the MAC of the remote wireless device, its SSID name, IP address
    > 10.0.3.254, the WEP key.hex string, the ISP's DNS 217.17.48.1.
    >
    > The router can be pinged OK, and the setting made and saved, but I can't
    > ping any external IP addresses, which suggests that the wireless link is not
    > working - but it was using the PC card and nothing else has changed.
    >
    > Whereas on the PC Dlink card , there is a tool to see wireless strength
    > signals, on the router I haven't found any equivalent on the router.
    >
    > Please can anyone advise the settings I should use to
    > enable this. I have tried lots of unsucessful combinations :-(
    >
    > Suggestions on how to proceed please.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Paul

    Call the ISP and ask them. More than likely they have security features
    in place to stop unauthorized people (and equipment) from accessing
    their bandwidth. Why would you ask about connecting to a local ISP in an
    international newsgroup before asking the ISP?

    "Paul A Bristow" <pbristow@hetp.u-net.com> wrote in message
    > I have a connection to an ISP using a Dlink 520+ PC card in a PC which
    works
    > (most of the time) to connect to the Internet, for example for Outlook and
    > Internet
    > Explorer.

    OK, so here is your client, and although you didn't say, I assume you ISP is
    a WISP.

    > I want to use a an ASUS WL500g router so that I can use other PCs as well
    > (and not have a power hungry and unreilable Windows PC on all the time).
    >
    > I have swapped the antenna cable from the PC card to the router.

    Typically, although I am not familiar with the Asus model, most wireless
    routers have two interfaces right? a WAN interface and a LAN interface.
    The wirleess side of the router usually operates on teh LAN side, so
    effectively you would be operating the router as a regular AP - acting in
    same way as a hub. This is assuming you have the option for 'client bridge'
    on the router (which I doubt)

    > I know the static IP of several PCs, including one IP 192.168.0.3 (subnet
    > mask 255.255.255.0) that I can use to control the setup of the router,
    whose
    > IP address I have set to 192.168.0.32.

    Typically, your ISP will assign you one static IP address. you would need to
    enter that into the WAN side of the router...

    > I know the MAC of the remote wireless device, its SSID name, IP address
    > 10.0.3.254, the WEP key.hex string, the ISP's DNS 217.17.48.1.
    >
    > The router can be pinged OK, and the setting made and saved, but I can't
    > ping any external IP addresses, which suggests that the wireless link is
    not
    > working - but it was using the PC card and nothing else has changed.
    >
    > Whereas on the PC Dlink card , there is a tool to see wireless strength
    > signals, on the router I haven't found any equivalent on the router.

    Chances are if you are getting a good signal with the PCI card, you will
    likely get a good signal with any other Bridge device, grated different
    manufacturers have different Reception sensitivity, but that would really
    only make a difference if you are 'on the edge' of good signal with the PCI
    card.

    > Please can anyone advise the settings I should use to
    > enable this. I have tried lots of unsucessful combinations :-(
    >
    > Suggestions on how to proceed please.

    What you need is a good quality 'bridge' like a smartbridge airBridge that
    has an ethernet interface so you can plug it into your WAN port of your
    router.

    You ISP might also have some sort of MAC authentication, so if you were
    originally setup on your PCI card with MAC address of 00 0F xx xx xx xx you
    would need to re-register your new MAC with your ISP.

    contact them for more info, I am sure they will be willing to help, unless
    of course you are trying to get away with a single-user tariff and running a
    multi-user network.

    "Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
    > Paul A Bristow wrote:
    > Call the ISP and ask them. More than likely they have security features
    > in place to stop unauthorized people (and equipment) from accessing
    > their bandwidth. Why would you ask about connecting to a local ISP in an
    > international newsgroup before asking the ISP?

    Because they don't mind me trying it - the installed deal was for a single
    PC but without strings about connecting to other machines, but don't seem to
    be able/willing to tell what I need to know to do it.

    I want to do it so that I don't want to HAVE to have two PCs on all the
    time!
    I can't use my regular machine because it is in the wrong physical position
    for the antenna cable and because it doesn't have a free PCI slot.

    Paul

    Green ;-)

    Paul

Wireless Routers Internet Service Providers Wireless Networking