VGA game of the year Bioshock!?

pc-cola

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
The 2007 VGA's have come and gone and Bioshock is the big Winner. Call of Duty 4 won best shooter beating out all other Game of the year nominees except Mass Effect(wich won best RPG).

I am glad to see the public polling gone this year in favor of a pannel of industry insiders to prevent Halo 3 from winning Goty by default (Halo 3 won the Dew addictive award chosen by online votes).

COD 4 beating Bioshock in the Shooter catagory and not even being nominated for Goty makes Bioshock a lame duck Goty Imo. Who was in charge of the nominees? The Advertisers?

Not another gamespotgate plz!!!

EDIT:I know few regard the Spike awards as anything other than a 2hr commercial, but with a pannel of judges deciding the winners I felt this was a chance for the VGA's to become a relevant source of reflection for the video game industry.

The nominees and the VGA Advisory Council.http://www.ifilm.com/show/23733

Anyone else disapointed?

mrmez

Splendid
Out of the 3, Bioshock HAS to be the winner.
Sure the others are good, good games, but not really unique at all.

Crysis looked awesome, and while i think gameplay story AND ending were solid, its all been done before. Aliens take over earth blah blah.

COD4, played 2,3, not 4, but i assume its more of the same. Run around, kill the emeny etc etc.

Bioshock with the adam, and what not, was unlike anything ive ever played before. The whole premise wasnt overdone either, just a bunch of people wanting to look purdy. Got a bit scary at times too, late at night those fugly females would shout things at u.

Easy choice.

pc-cola

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
I can't argue that Bioshock was'nt unique. Its just that I have a hard time believing the VGA advisory council thought Bioshock was indeed game of the year when they also thought Call of Duty 4 was the better shooter.

I think the picks were pretty good over all. But you have got to wonder if BS would have still won if COD 4 was included in the vote?(Assuming there was a vote)

BTW. I havent played COD4 yet, just the demo. Its on my X-mas list. Bioshock was practically ignored by me in the week I had to play it. I was playing Halo 3 online nearly the whole time I had a rented Xbox.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Bioshock was very unique in it's presentation, gameplay, and storyline. After an hour or so of playing - you just can't stop. The shooting aspect isn't that involved or special. Fire from the hip and aim for the head. I consider this game more of an rpg / shooter mix because of the plasmids. (Level up plasmids and use them in conjunction with shooting to bring down your enemies or make it through your environment) Bioshock has a very respectable length from start -> finish and even offers some replay value with alternate endings.

COD has some of the best shooter controls and freedom that any user could hope for. The story-line isn't very unique, but that's not what anyone would expect from a modern shooter. The campaign was very well done though - It never got boring, stale, or repetitive while playing through. (It was a bit short though)

In the end, I think it comes down to two things:

Bioshock was longer, more "polished", and had a unique feel from start to finish. You couldn't ask for more from a single player game.

COD4 is a shooter. You get a few difference weapons, but the concept is straight-forward - Go through different settings and fight to capture said bad guy. There is no reason to play the single-player more than once (maybe twice if you want to unlock cheats), so once you finish the campaign (which is a bit short imo) it's all about online play.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I missed this one (was watching a movie), I usually watch the show, but it always pisses me off (either because of the chosen winners or the nominees in the wrong place..) take this year, http://www.tomsgames.com/us/fringedrinking/2007/12/spike_tvs_video_game_awards_pr.html#more , as Rob said, Twilight Princess was nominated on the Wii, it's a 2006 game!!!! I try not to take any show like this seriously (oscars, academy awards, etc - whatever).

lol, spike is also owned by mtv, which also owns game(console)trailers.com, it's all so clear now.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks for the link, Stemnin. Now I see what everyone is talking about... some of the nominations (or lack thereof) were ridiculous. Just another example of monetary influence as oppose to actual quality.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Award shows are glamorous advertisement campaigns. It’s entertaining but you have to take some and leave some. Now, I won’t disagree about Bioshock being game of the year.

It’s ambiguous as to what criteria they were looking at when they chose the GOTY title…but although I personally don’t play this game anymore, its one of the only title who stood up to its hype. Ok, COD4 fans may disagree but that game has been done before…just better.

They should make a Most Enjoyable Game Award. COD4 may have gotten a shot - bang bang!

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
It’s ambiguous as to what criteria they were looking at when they chose the GOTY title…but although I personally don’t play this game anymore, its one of the only title who stood up to its hype. Ok, COD4 fans may disagree but that game has been done before…just better.

I agree 100% with this. COD4 was and still is a good, fun game... but it's nothing that we haven't seen before. (I still love the game though :D)

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007

Que habla System Shock?

Granted, this year was far less of a massive failure than most: They picked 6 good games, and threw every nomination in their general direction. At least they didn't have a "King Kong the Movie, best adventure game of the year" moment.

Also consider that Mountain Dew made at least two different beverage formulations co-branded with Halo 3.
I have an empty bottle of the stuff under my desk, that I use to hit things that don't quite deserve Dupre.
In the Mountain Dew category, the competitors were the Orange Box, Guitar Hero 3, and Wii Sports.

I would bet that at least half of the voters voted on a category where they didn't play 2 of the nominees.
75% if you include mobile and handheld, and the entirety of the Orange box.

Maybe Tom's hardware should do awards. One where the developers know that the reviewers didn't have crap hardware or bad drivers, and where the voters are expected to have actually played the games all the way through.

I also don't think I should have to choose between innovation and execution. There should be in the industry for both.

Octagonz

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
I think i worth it Bioshock is a very good game, i haven't played till the end yet but is a amazing game, especially for its original and uniqui stoty line, just a bit disapointed cos Crysis didnt wom, only the Best Graphics Award, check here for the full list.

Octagonz

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
I think i worth it Bioshock is a very good game, i haven't played till the end yet but is a amazing game, especially for its original and unique stoty line, just a bit disapointed cos Crysis didnt wom, only the Best Graphics Award, check here for the full list.