"SetConfig Application" problem.

I receive a SetConfig Application box randomly during boot or during use. As
far as I can tell the machine works normally regardless of whether I receive
the box or not. I have sent this problem to MS as requested in the box. I
have two questions:

1). Is this a serious problem?

2). If the answer to 1). is "No" then how do I prevent this message box
appearing?

Peter.

The machine is a HP Pavilion/Athlon/XP. It is on a 3 PC home network via
wireless connection.

Peter.

"PVR" <peterv666@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I receive a SetConfig Application box randomly during boot or during use.
>As far as I can tell the machine works normally regardless of whether I
>receive the box or not. I have sent this problem to MS as requested in the
>box. I have two questions:
>
> 1). Is this a serious problem?
>
> 2). If the answer to 1). is "No" then how do I prevent this message box
> appearing?
>
> Peter.

dilbert

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

I've read in a couple of places that it may be to do with printers and
printer drivers.
Particulary HP. I'm going to uninstall the printer from a problem PC when I
get back to work on monday ... fingers crossed it gets rid of the problem

"PVR" wrote:

> The machine is a HP Pavilion/Athlon/XP. It is on a 3 PC home network via
> wireless connection.
>
> Peter.
>
> "PVR" <peterv666@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >I receive a SetConfig Application box randomly during boot or during use.
> >As far as I can tell the machine works normally regardless of whether I
> >receive the box or not. I have sent this problem to MS as requested in the
> >box. I have two questions:
> >
> > 1). Is this a serious problem?
> >
> > 2). If the answer to 1). is "No" then how do I prevent this message box
> > appearing?
> >
> > Peter.

Interesting. My PC is part of a home network but no printer is attached to
it. Four printers are attached to my home office PC (XP) and I use those for
my printing needs. I have not had any "Setconfig" problems with the office
PC.

After receiving your answer I tried the MS KnowledgeBase. No mention of
Setconfig. I tried the MS newsgroups without luck. I hit Google and received
three hits, all in a foreign language (Norwegian).

At the moment I am not aware that this situation is causing me any problem
other than irritation. If uninstalling your driver helps I would appreciate
an email.

Peter.

"Dilbert" <Dilbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've read in a couple of places that it may be to do with printers and
> printer drivers.
> Particulary HP. I'm going to uninstall the printer from a problem PC when
> get back to work on monday ... fingers crossed it gets rid of the problem
>
> "PVR" wrote:
>
>> The machine is a HP Pavilion/Athlon/XP. It is on a 3 PC home network via
>> wireless connection.
>>
>> Peter.
>>
>> "PVR" <peterv666@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> >I receive a SetConfig Application box randomly during boot or during
>> >use.
>> >As far as I can tell the machine works normally regardless of whether I
>> >receive the box or not. I have sent this problem to MS as requested in
>> >the
>> >box. I have two questions:
>> >
>> > 1). Is this a serious problem?
>> >
>> > 2). If the answer to 1). is "No" then how do I prevent this message box
>> > appearing?
>> >
>> > Peter.

dilbert

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

I've uninstalled the printer drivers and it does seem to have cured the
irritation.
I'll worry about reinstalling a printer on that machine when a user
complains they can't print !!
I just want to check that the problem has gone away first.
Both printers installed were HP, one was a laserjet 1300 the other was an
all-in-one ... can't recall the model no.
I'll post after i reinstall one of them to keep you updated.