smartbridge airPoint (bridge mode) and Cisco AP1200

Tags:
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 11, 2004 8:42:22 PM

Hi,

Thanks in advance of any help you guys can offer. I have searched the
groups for similiar problems and come up dry, so heres my question:

We run small WISP in midlands UK, using Cicso AP1200s as Access Points, and
typically Smartbridge airBridge clients (indoor and outdoor models).
Recently our supplier sent us some airPoint indoor units instead of the
typical airBRIDGE indoor units. No worries, we thought since they run in
operational mode 'client bridge' should work OK right? wrong.

client will associate with AP, but AP only shows 0.0.0.0 as IP address for
client. good signal (-61db) on both ends, but laptop cannot ping, no data
moves, no IP address gets registered with AP.

Here is my theory and I am certain I am wrong or my understanding is flawed,
so if you can enlighten me, please do:

802.11b spec provides for 4 address fields. Address field 1 - 3 is
usually used in the following ways:
AD-HOC destination stations, source station, and BSSID. (address 4 not
used)
INFRASTRUCTURE MODE: source station, destination station, and either the
sending or receiving AP (address 4 not used)
WDS MODE: Sending and receiveing AP, Destination Station, but also uses
Address 4 for source station.

Address 4 only comes into play when in WDS mode (two APs communicating, with
one usually in bridge mode, but not necessarily)

finally the climax... Does anyone know if the Cisco aironet 1200 AP
(AIR-AP1230B-E-K9 w IOS C1200-K9W7-M) have another use for address 4? or
does the smartbridge airPoints SB2400 have a problem with the use of address
4? or ... is there a setting in the AP1200 that allows the use of address 4
for conectivity by other makes/models of AP in client bridge mode?

sorry to bother if its a simple one, but we're still quite new to Cisco kit,
and smartbridge isn't very forthcoming with their architecture

cheers for the help

Dan Praught

More about : smartbridge airpoint bridge mode cisco ap1200

August 11, 2004 9:52:41 PM

Dan Praught wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks in advance of any help you guys can offer. I have searched the
> groups for similiar problems and come up dry, so heres my question:
>
> We run small WISP in midlands UK, using Cicso AP1200s as Access Points, and
> typically Smartbridge airBridge clients (indoor and outdoor models).
> Recently our supplier sent us some airPoint indoor units instead of the
> typical airBRIDGE indoor units. No worries, we thought since they run in
> operational mode 'client bridge' should work OK right? wrong.
>
> client will associate with AP, but AP only shows 0.0.0.0 as IP address for
> client. good signal (-61db) on both ends, but laptop cannot ping, no data
> moves, no IP address gets registered with AP.
>
> Here is my theory and I am certain I am wrong or my understanding is flawed,
> so if you can enlighten me, please do:
>
> 802.11b spec provides for 4 address fields. Address field 1 - 3 is
> usually used in the following ways:
> AD-HOC destination stations, source station, and BSSID. (address 4 not
> used)
> INFRASTRUCTURE MODE: source station, destination station, and either the
> sending or receiving AP (address 4 not used)
> WDS MODE: Sending and receiveing AP, Destination Station, but also uses
> Address 4 for source station.
>
> Address 4 only comes into play when in WDS mode (two APs communicating, with
> one usually in bridge mode, but not necessarily)
>
> finally the climax... Does anyone know if the Cisco aironet 1200 AP
> (AIR-AP1230B-E-K9 w IOS C1200-K9W7-M) have another use for address 4? or
> does the smartbridge airPoints SB2400 have a problem with the use of address
> 4? or ... is there a setting in the AP1200 that allows the use of address 4
> for conectivity by other makes/models of AP in client bridge mode?
>
> sorry to bother if its a simple one, but we're still quite new to Cisco kit,
> and smartbridge isn't very forthcoming with their architecture
>
> cheers for the help
>
> Dan Praught

Sorry I can't help with the Cisco part, but I have several airPoints in
use as client bridges connecting to other airPoints in AP mode with no
issues at all. You might try asking on the isp-wireless list:
mailto:join-isp-wireless@isp-wireless.com

For contacting smartBridges, by far the fastest way to get a response is
the mail list at:
mailto:imailsrv@part-15.org (in the body type subscribe smartBridges
<yournickname>)
!