Microsoft Rushes to Patch 'Serious' Flaw in IE6, IE7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Even if you don't use IE, MS has the browser tied to the OS at the kernel level, scary. Another reason to use Linux or a Mac.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I understand a little about code execution and pointers and data structures/tables ect from back in high school, but what exactly does "remote code execution" mean?

In my circle of friends it's mostly just twisted around into a dirty joke...

Bill: "I'll remotely execute YOUR code!"
Ted: "I'll remotely execute your MOM'S code!"
Bill: "I'm gonna remotely execute YOUR FACE right now!"

Admin: "If you two don't calm down, I'll remotely execute all your base, then lock and sticky this as an example of why today's games all cater towards console kiddies!!!"

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]I understand a little about code execution and pointers and data structures/tables ect from back in high school, but what exactly does "remote code execution" mean?"[/citation]

Remote Code Execution: Someone is running code on your computer through another computer/network/system. So they can run what they want on your computer without sitting in that chair, that's all it is.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]...that's all it is.[/citation]
Appreciate it man, have a nice one. +1

So say someone has this remote capability, what are they gonna do with it? What's the goal? Initiate file transfer/download botnet client? And why do people pursue vulnerabilities like this? Is there money in it for them? Or are they just doing it to be a pain in the nethers?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Now if they could just get IE8 to work without crashing. I have to restart IE8 after leaving tabs up for a day or two. It isn't just Vista or XP. It happens on both.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Some people with IE6 generally keep it because upgrading to IE7 or 8 would mean that you lose the ability to have FTP folders on your desktop which can easily be read from or written to.

theres no need to upgrade and lose that functionality if you use firefox as your main browser.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
hey! IE6 supposes to be dead! I want my flowers back! I've wasted a lot of money on the funeral's flower setup!
who the hell he think he is?a celebrity?

Status
Not open for further replies.