1280x768 option in games no longer appears

jerryku

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Hi,

I use an HDTV as a PC monitor. On my old computer, I was able to play COH in 1280x768, which seems to be the only widescreen resolution my HDTV likes to display when displaying PC VGA stuff. My old PC was using Windows XP on an ATI X800 XL.

My new PC is using Windows Vista with ATI X1950 Pro. I have my desktop set at 1280x768, but I cannot select that resolution in Company of Heroes or Team Fortress 2 anymore. I also only have about 4 resolutions in the game as options, whereas on my older computer, I had like 12. Any idea what's going on? I really need that 1280x768 option but don't know how to get it to appear.

Is Vista the culprit? Or my new video card?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Could be 3 things.

Videocard Drivers (but you say you have the latest) right?

Monitor Drivers (some monitors only support certain types of resolution), make sure you installed the latest monitor drivers if they are available.

Could also be the program(or game) you are using/playing. If you've played these games at such resolution before, then the problem is most likely your video/monitor drivers. However, some programs will only offer certain resolutions - the way the game was programmed for. You can usually force resolutions but then you may encounter weird things such as your mouse not being able to click on certain buttons at the main menu of the game, or you click beside a button and it works, etc.

I doubt it's Vista itself.