Installation problem

I am having a problem installing Windows XP on a 'slave'
hard drive. I am upgrading my computer and bringing in a
'slave' hard drive from another computer. The Windows XP
setup is stalling on the Windows Executive file install. Do
I need to reformat this hard drive before I install XP?
Does XP automatically re-format the drive, if no OS is
installed? My old computer had Windows NT 4 workstation on
it. Will this present a problem?
1 answer Last reply
More about installation problem

    Hi Mike,

    >I am having a problem installing Windows XP on a 'slave'
    > hard drive. I am upgrading my computer and bringing in a
    > 'slave' hard drive from another computer. The Windows XP
    > setup is stalling on the Windows Executive file install.

    Huh? Are you sure you got that right? If it's an error message, could you
    quote it exactly please?

    > Do I need to reformat this hard drive before I install XP?

    No, no reason to.

    > Does XP automatically re-format the drive, if no OS is installed?

    No.

    > My old computer had Windows NT 4 workstation on it. Will this present a
    > problem?

    Shouldn't, but if you were using FAT16, then it may be a drive space issue.
    How much available free space is there?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/