User name icons in welcome screen not appearing

When I start windows xp home edition everything loads
correct until I get to the welcome screen. The user name
icons don't show up anymore so I can't get to my
desktop. Everything else on the welcome screen shows up
normally. Do I have a virus? Can I bypass the welcome
screen? What do I do to solve the problem? Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about user icons screen appearing

    Shutdown computer,on starting imediatly tap the F8 key,select safe-
    mode with networking,enter as ADM.On desktop,go to run,type:cmd
    In cmd type:Sfc /Scannow When the graph starts,install xp cd,exit
    the info page.You can/could also open a new user account,if all opens
    and runs ok,the other account is corrupt,delete the account.

    "Jason" wrote:

    > When I start windows xp home edition everything loads
    > correct until I get to the welcome screen. The user name
    > icons don't show up anymore so I can't get to my
    > desktop. Everything else on the welcome screen shows up
    > normally. Do I have a virus? Can I bypass the welcome
    > screen? What do I do to solve the problem? Thank you.

    I attempted to enter in safe mode but the same welcome
    screen came up (still with no user icons) and I couldn't
    figure out how to enter as ADM. How do I enter as
    admin? I'm a home user and never created any passwords
    or an ADM account. Can you provide a little more
    direction? Thank you.

Icons Microsoft Windows XP