How to backup when going from vista 32bit to windows7 64 bit

G

Hello,
In trying to do this the forums suggest a clean install. They also indicate that the software will prompt me to back up my hard drive. However, the windows7-64 bit won't boot from my dvd drive. I read that we can ask the computer to boot from the dvd drive. However can someone tell me
1) the steps to get it to boot from the dvd drive
2) whether there is a way to backup my computer(multiple users)and confirm it using vista before I do the "clean install".
3) will the backup take some of the program files with it and then port it to windows 7?

me13245

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
The steps for booting from a DVD depend on your computer. When you boot, you should see an option that flashes quickly to press a F button, that will take you to your BIOS configuration. When you get to BIOS configuration, you should see an option for boot order. Change that option to the CD/DVD drive is ahead of the HDD. This way, your computer will check for bootable media in the disk drive, before booting to vista.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Ther is no point in my repeating the previous post by me13245 which tells the first part of your question.
You can use the Windows 7 Easy Transfer Wizard to save your files and settings.
Download it here.>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer
Programs will need to be reinstalled.
There is no way to confirm it using Vista as it's to be transfered to W7. Don't worry this works quite well.
You will need to export your e-mail files and contacts as CSV files for reuse in W7 when you install an e-mail client. There is no e-mail client in W7, you can download Windows Live, Thunderbird or other of your choice.