History/Internet Options

Hello all,
I have been an XP user now for about a month
(I have already had much appreciated help from this news group)
and I'm still fascinated with the difference between XP and Win98se.
My query now is that in 'Internet Options', if I click to clear the 'history
folder' it does not clear? Sometimes I have to just keep on clicking
'clear history', then 'yes', sometimes a dozen times before it will clear.
Please does anyone think I may not have something configured right?

Whilst I am on the subject of history, if I may be so bold as to ask,
is it normal for the 'Local Settings' folder in the 'Documents and Settings'
folder to be a hidden folder? If I un-hide it, it just hides itself again
on re-boot?
I do apologise.
If I should have posted a separate thread for the second question,

I look forward to any help you could give
Kind regards
Graham