Transfer from original user account to new account

I have created a new user account for everyday use. Up to
now I have done everything in the
original "Administrator" account.

How do I transfer the folders/files from "My Documents"
in the "administrator" account to "my new" user account?
Is it as simple as dragging them from
the "Administrator's Documents" folder into my new user
folder? or would I screw something up back in
the "Administrator" account?

Also, how do I transfer my desktop items from
the "Administrator" account to "My New" account?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about transfer original user account account

    I just discovered a new issue. I went into my new user
    account and started Outlook. It wants me to start from
    scratch again and set up e-mail accounts etc. Is there a
    less time consuming way than to start all over again? Can
    I "Transfer" outlook from the "Administrator" account
    to "my New" account?

    In order to do this you need to create user B as a new user(lets say the
    original is user A)
    Then log on as user C....making sure that user C is an administrator
    right click "my computer"
    properties.........advanced...............user profiles....settings
    highlight user A and click "copy to"
    click "browse" and find user B under "documents&settings"......click OK
    ok your way out.
    reboot and sign in as user B...........check to make sure it copied correctly
    before you delete user A under control panel/user accounts.
    there you go..........
    peter

    "Greg" <rayco@ptd.net> wrote in message
    >I have created a new user account for everyday use. Up to
    > now I have done everything in the
    > original "Administrator" account.
    >
    > How do I transfer the folders/files from "My Documents"
    > in the "administrator" account to "my new" user account?
    > Is it as simple as dragging them from
    > the "Administrator's Documents" folder into my new user
    > folder? or would I screw something up back in
    > the "Administrator" account?
    >
    > Also, how do I transfer my desktop items from
    > the "Administrator" account to "My New" account?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    I have a very similar problem. My user name has an apostrophe (') in it and
    some applications don't like the path "C:\Documents and Settings\First
    O'Second\..." so I would like to recreate the account as "First O Second" so
    the path becomes "C:\Documents and Settings\First O Second\...". I have
    setup and registered all my applications from the first user name and don't
    want to mess anything up by deleting the first account. I also want to keep
    all my outlook and other application data etc... Any help would be much
    appreciated.

    Cheers

    :-)

    Greg wrote:
    > I have created a new user account for everyday use. Up to
    > now I have done everything in the
    > original "Administrator" account.
    >
    > How do I transfer the folders/files from "My Documents"
    > in the "administrator" account to "my new" user account?
    > Is it as simple as dragging them from
    > the "Administrator's Documents" folder into my new user
    > folder? or would I screw something up back in
    > the "Administrator" account?
    >
    > Also, how do I transfer my desktop items from
    > the "Administrator" account to "My New" account?
    >
    > Thanks

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm