Can't find network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 11, 2004 9:01:37 PM

Greetings,

Two laptops:

Mine: IBM/Windows98/Linksys wireless card 802.11b,
Visitor: Compaq/WindowsXP Home/Broadcom 802.11g.

The IBM senses and connects correctly to the Linksys BEFW11S4. The
Compaq can't even see the BEFW11S4 but can see the neighbor's wireless
network (Not sure wheather 802.11b or 802.11g). Both leptops are on the
same desk with the BEFW11S4.

Another visitor with an WindowsXP Pro machine had no problem connecting
last week.

No matter what I do I can't get the Compaq to see the AP. I wonder if I
have to somehow tell it to look for 802.11b lans as well. I don't know
how to do that with the XP software that is being used to manage the
wireless connection

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Dana

More about : find network

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 12, 2004 2:40:22 AM

"john smith" <user@example.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> Two laptops:
>
> Mine: IBM/Windows98/Linksys wireless card 802.11b,
> Visitor: Compaq/WindowsXP Home/Broadcom 802.11g.
>
> The IBM senses and connects correctly to the Linksys BEFW11S4. The
> Compaq can't even see the BEFW11S4 but can see the neighbor's wireless
> network (Not sure wheather 802.11b or 802.11g). Both leptops are on the
> same desk with the BEFW11S4.
>
> Another visitor with an WindowsXP Pro machine had no problem connecting
> last week.
>
> No matter what I do I can't get the Compaq to see the AP. I wonder if I
> have to somehow tell it to look for 802.11b lans as well. I don't know
> how to do that with the XP software that is being used to manage the
> wireless connection
>
> If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Dana

If you're using the Wireless Zero Configuration service, bring up the
Wireless Network Configuration Properties window and select the Wireless
Networks tab. You can manually select the network that you want from the
list of Available Networks and then press Configure. This brings up the
Wireless Network Properties window; press OK. You should be connected, and
the network should be added to your list of Preferred Networks.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
!