Help - Windows Explore Challenges

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Greetings!
Frequently when I open Windows Explore, it opens only in the "Start Menu."
This would not be such a big deal, except that clicking the [+] next to the
desired folder results in a L - O - N - G delay before that folder opens, if
ever. So, I have to click on the name of the folder in the left pane, (not
the [+]), then click on the name of the next folder in the right pane,
which then places that folder in view in the left pane, and so on. A very
tedious and irritation way to open files or conduct a visual search of a
folder tree.

Is there a fix that will allow me to see the entire folder tree just by
clicking "(C:)"?

Thanks!

-- Dave

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Maybe run disk defragmenter

Larry,
Thanks for the suggestion - I use defrag regularly, at least once a week. I
run Spybot S&D and Ad-aware daily, have Zone Alarm installed, and have two
AV programs in place, so I am fairly confident that it is not spyware or
some malicious code. I am hoping that one of the MVPs has seen or heard of
this before, and know a fix.

Thanks!

-- Dave

"larry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Maybe run disk defragmenter

Hi!
I experienced simmilar behavior. In my case there were following
reasons:forgotten badly readable CD in the drive, or damaged ZIP once..., or
I had mapped network discs, if network resources were not acessible (VPN's
down) that also made's time slots longer
Can also be if users are not having correct rights, for some of catalogued
resources ...
Try check your settings like User rights (Full controll?) and about mapped
network resources,...

I hope my ideas helped...

Uros

"larry" wrote:

> Maybe run disk defragmenter

Uros,
Thanks for the ideas, they all make sense.
Unfortunately, this is occurring on my WIN XP Home SP1, personal, not
networked, home PC, and non of the networking or user rights issues apply.
I am the owner, with full administrator rights, and I am the only user ID on
this PC.

Thanks!

-- Dave

"Uros from Slovenia" <Uros from Slovenia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in