Few days ago I purchased a new system:
Gigabyte P35 DS3
Intel E6750
G.Skill 2 GB 800Mhz CL5
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W
Asus GeForce 8800 GT [not the OC version]
WD 160 GB AAKS

Windows SP2 [No Updates] and then Windows XP SP3
Most Recent Nvidia Beta Drivers, it was all same even with the normal drivers.

As you can see the parts are good, all have passed QC and have been puchased from a retail store.

Now the problem, it apperas in 3 games i play: Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3 and Call of Duty 4.
I play the game for a few mins sometimes it goes up to an hour, after that the game crashes to windows
as soon I press the "Don't send" error button i get a blue screen saying: "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT".
Also Battlefield 2, Counter Strike Source, Half life 2, and Enemy Territories Quake Wars,
all work perfectly the problem appears to be just in the 3 games I mentioned.

Now from some short googling i stumbled across a weird fact that,
some people with GF8800GT get similiar problems.

Please help me out here,
Thanks.

ph3r0c1ty

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
already did
going to try with kingstone ram later today

all games except Crysis Cod4 and UT3 work perfectly, thats what makes it weird.

have anyone stumbled across the problem with 8800GT ? because on some forums people with this card have some issues mybe its the chipset, but then, recent drivers update would fix it?

thanks for the quick response

could it be the PSU?

Cirga

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Hmm.. doesnt sound like a PSU issue to me. .. If that were the case it would manifest itself on every game you played. It could be just the drivers.. GT cards arent the high end gaming versions. I know that I have wierd particle /framerate lag on the GT Nvidia card in my laptop.. and there isnt anything I can do about that.

ph3r0c1ty

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
with this particular card model the 8800 GT is a high end card, almost like the GTX check on the recent DX10 benchmarking list.
I get 30 FPS on very high setting in crysis but the fun doesnt last for long hehe =(

the voltages on the PSU are fine i checked in the bios and easytune and speedfan.

LOL ill send them something else!!! :p

Cirga

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Hmm... looks like they actually made the 8800 GT card pretty darn close to its GTX counterpart this time. The clock speeds are only 30 and 100MHz different from the GTX version. That is not something I am used to seeing. I had to look of course.. hard to keep up with every latest card out there ;)

Other than checking every possible driver you have.. including your motherboard drivers .. not sure what else it could be. Have you tried wiping windows and reinstalling? You seem pretty astute.. hopefully its just the RAM causing it. PFN list corrupt is a strange one. The more I read about it the less there is it seems to do to correct it. :eek:

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Could it be a heating issue? Because it takes it a while to manifest itself, and does it on the more demanding games he would play. Maybe a cheap fix to start with might be a pci slot cooler fan. Couldn't hurt to start with, eliminate at least one possibility.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Like the guys said, it might be your RAM or VRAM. Try with other RAM if you have access to it. But it could be other things.

First, I need to know:
1- What OS are you using?
2- What Soundcard are you using? Have you installed your latest sound drivers?
3- Are you using wireless network? Which model is is?

If you are using Windows 2000:
* Uninstall / reinstall Videocard drivers
* Uninstall any backup/backtracking software on your system
* Disable some background applications such as system filter drivers, such as backup utilities, virus scanners, or firewall software

If you are using Windows XP:
* Uninstall / reinstall Soundcard drivers
* Uninstall / reinstall Videocard drivers
* Uninstall / reinstall wireless adapter (with the original disk drivers - not the latest)
* Disable some background applications such as system filter drivers, such as backup utilities, virus scanners, or firewall software. However, keep your drivers file open (do not end task them).

Answer these questions...and I can try to help you further.

ph3r0c1ty

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
thanks everyone =)
first things first

I fixed it! =D i think >.>
well I set the ram ddr voltage from 1.8v to 1.9v and for now it seems to work without crashing

btw I ran it with differnt ram, got another 2 gb kingstone and it never crashed with it.

I ran test both with the ususal backgraoung application and without them in both cases works now.

I think its just a bad combo the mobo and the gskill slots.

btw i can OC the GT to higher speed with a slight increase in temperature, by slight i mean up to 10c difference in game from stock speed temperature.

ph3r0c1ty

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
damnit, lol
it didn't last for too long =(

im gonna RMA it
they said i can take memory form other company
so now i cant decide

OSZ Reaper 800mhz CL4 1024x2 or
CORSAIR XMS2 800mhz CL5 1024x2

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Would go for OCZ Reaper myself if you have the space above them, my Thermalright Extreme 120 has next to no clearence over ram so check it out first If you have an aftermarket cooler.

Cirga

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007

I concur with this choice. Also, good call earlier on the heat issue Ohiau.. that would have been my next guess too.

Glad to hear it is only the RAM causing the issue.. could have been alot worse.