Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Did they steal Woot?

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 4:35:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
asked.

Then I drifted away from AGD a bit.....Still play the game, though,
might even upgrade to 1.10 someday.....B-)

Then I noticed I could add woot.com to My Yahoo! It's a strange little
site, they sell just one item per day, until it's sold out, and then
another item the next day!

Just bought my first Woot, I got 70 sheets of greeting card paper with
envelopes, and 40 sheets of Glossy photo paper, all from HP, for $25
with shipping!! Yay, me! WOOOT!!!! Hehhehehehe.....

So, I tried to see how Woot got started. Google shows it being used in
AGD as far back as 2003. If I try to search all groups, google won't
go past 2004, don't know why....

So, it's possible it got started at AGD!!

Anyone know the story??

Mike
O-

More about : steal woot

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:50:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

mdmarshall@my-deja.com wrote:
> Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
> remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
> asked.
>
> Then I drifted away from AGD a bit.....Still play the game, though,
> might even upgrade to 1.10 someday.....B-)
>
> Then I noticed I could add woot.com to My Yahoo! It's a strange little
> site, they sell just one item per day, until it's sold out, and then
> another item the next day!
>
> Just bought my first Woot, I got 70 sheets of greeting card paper with
> envelopes, and 40 sheets of Glossy photo paper, all from HP, for $25
> with shipping!! Yay, me! WOOOT!!!! Hehhehehehe.....
>
> So, I tried to see how Woot got started. Google shows it being used in
> AGD as far back as 2003. If I try to search all groups, google won't
> go past 2004, don't know why....
>
> So, it's possible it got started at AGD!!
>
> Anyone know the story??
>
> Mike
> O-
>
I remember a tv show in the 70's called Welcome back Cotter. It was set
in a high school where John Travolta played Vinnie Barbarino. I think
its where Travolta got his start. His catch phrase was "woot?" He was
saying "what?" but with an Italian/New York accent it came out woot. I
am guessing that is the same "word" used here.
Anyone else got any other ideas?
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:11:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

sidekick wrote:
> mdmarshall@my-deja.com wrote:
>
>> Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
>> remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
>> asked.
>>
>> Then I drifted away from AGD a bit.....Still play the game, though,
>> might even upgrade to 1.10 someday.....B-)
>>
>> Then I noticed I could add woot.com to My Yahoo! It's a strange little
>> site, they sell just one item per day, until it's sold out, and then
>> another item the next day!
>>
>> Just bought my first Woot, I got 70 sheets of greeting card paper with
>> envelopes, and 40 sheets of Glossy photo paper, all from HP, for $25
>> with shipping!! Yay, me! WOOOT!!!! Hehhehehehe.....
>>
>> So, I tried to see how Woot got started. Google shows it being used in
>> AGD as far back as 2003. If I try to search all groups, google won't
>> go past 2004, don't know why....

Google has a limit to the total result count. A term as popular as woot
hits that limit easily. It's used more often in all of usenet then just
in agd, so you don't have to look as far back to find that many results.

>> So, it's possible it got started at AGD!!
>>
>> Anyone know the story??
>
> I remember a tv show in the 70's called Welcome back Cotter. It was set
> in a high school where John Travolta played Vinnie Barbarino. I think
> its where Travolta got his start. His catch phrase was "woot?" He was
> saying "what?" but with an Italian/New York accent it came out woot. I
> am guessing that is the same "word" used here.
> Anyone else got any other ideas?

Wikipedia dates it back to the mid-nineties. Some say it's an acronym
for "We Owned the Other Team". I'm guessing it's more of a backronym. I
find it more likely that someone comes up with the term "We Owned the
Other Team" for w00t then the other way around. Anyway, lots of info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W00t

Sjoerd
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 20, 2005 12:36:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

mdmarshall@my-deja.com <mdmarshall@my-deja.com> stared blankly into
space for a short while before writing:
> Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
> remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
> asked.

The earliest instance I can find (that wasn't an obvious typo or proper
noun) was a post to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim on 20th Sept 1993,
but it may have meant something else at the time. See for yourself :) 

http://tinyurl.com/64ebx


--
Doc
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:47:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

> Wikipedia dates it back to the mid-nineties. Some say it's an acronym
> for "We Owned the Other Team". I'm guessing it's more of a backronym. I
> find it more likely that someone comes up with the term "We Owned the
> Other Team" for w00t then the other way around. Anyway, lots of info at:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W00t

I think it's older than that. They make no mention of its origins prior to
appearing in video games, but I know for certain that I heard it in the very
early 90's, when I was still in high school. It was mostly used by jocks
and cheerleaders, so I assume it began as a sort of cheer during sports
games. (I never attended any of those games, so I can't tell for certain,
but they used the word frequently the rest of the time as well.) Of course,
the 1337 spelling of it probably came later, but the word certainly was at
least vocalized prior to it appearing in online games.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 6:03:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

mdmarshall@my-deja.com wrote in message news:<1108848912.373868.278320@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...

> Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started?

I always thought it was the h4cksp3ak version of root... h4x0r3d w00tsh3ll w0000t.

g.
February 20, 2005 7:35:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

~shady angel~ <dNOduck@SPAMorcon.net.nz> stared blankly into space
for a short while before writing:
> mdmarshall@my-deja.com wrote:
>> Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
>> remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
>> asked.
>>
>> Then I drifted away from AGD a bit.....Still play the game, though,
>> might even upgrade to 1.10 someday.....B-)
>>
>> Then I noticed I could add woot.com to My Yahoo! It's a strange
>> little site, they sell just one item per day, until it's sold out,
>> and then another item the next day!
>>
>> Just bought my first Woot, I got 70 sheets of greeting card paper
>> with envelopes, and 40 sheets of Glossy photo paper, all from HP,
>> for $25
>> with shipping!! Yay, me! WOOOT!!!! Hehhehehehe.....
>>
>> So, I tried to see how Woot got started. Google shows it being
>> used
>> in AGD as far back as 2003. If I try to search all groups, google
>> won't go past 2004, don't know why....
>>
>> So, it's possible it got started at AGD!!
>>
>> Anyone know the story??
>>
>> Mike
>> O-
>
> n a mod gemstone when your merc level's instead of saying I"I feel
> stronger " it said "woot, It's kick as time". So when I'm trying to
> level and am in a party I say woot when I go up.

The Gemstone Mod was created by an AGD regular (Stephen Gorrell) with
much input from other AGDers :) 

--
Doc
"Save the Earth, it's the only planet with beer..."
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:28:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:50:11 -0500, sidekick
<sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:

>mdmarshall@my-deja.com wrote:
>> Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
>> remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
>> asked.
>>
>> Then I drifted away from AGD a bit.....Still play the game, though,
>> might even upgrade to 1.10 someday.....B-)
>>
>> Then I noticed I could add woot.com to My Yahoo! It's a strange little
>> site, they sell just one item per day, until it's sold out, and then
>> another item the next day!
>>
>> Just bought my first Woot, I got 70 sheets of greeting card paper with
>> envelopes, and 40 sheets of Glossy photo paper, all from HP, for $25
>> with shipping!! Yay, me! WOOOT!!!! Hehhehehehe.....
>>
>> So, I tried to see how Woot got started. Google shows it being used in
>> AGD as far back as 2003. If I try to search all groups, google won't
>> go past 2004, don't know why....
>>
>> So, it's possible it got started at AGD!!
>>
>> Anyone know the story??
>>
>> Mike
>> O-
>>
>I remember a tv show in the 70's called Welcome back Cotter. It was set
>in a high school where John Travolta played Vinnie Barbarino. I think
>its where Travolta got his start. His catch phrase was "woot?" He was
>saying "what?" but with an Italian/New York accent it came out woot. I
>am guessing that is the same "word" used here.
> Anyone else got any other ideas?

You must have been watching a different version of Welcome Back Kotter
than I was. I don't remember Vinnies "what" sounding anything like a
"woot".

foobear (yes, I'm old enouigh to have watched it when it was
originally broadcast)
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:44:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:36:04 +1100, "Doc"
<the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote:

>mdmarshall@my-deja.com <mdmarshall@my-deja.com> stared blankly into
>space for a short while before writing:
>> Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
>> remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
>> asked.
>
>The earliest instance I can find (that wasn't an obvious typo or proper
>noun) was a post to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim on 20th Sept 1993,
>but it may have meant something else at the time. See for yourself :) 
>
>http://tinyurl.com/64ebx

I believe what you're actually looking for is "Whoot". Back in 1993 or
thereabouts there were two songs. One was "Whoomp, There it is" by Tag
Team, and the other "Whoot, There It Is" by 95 South. If my memory
serves me correctly (which it may not as I'm rapidly approaching
senility), the two songs sounded more or less the same. I've used
"whoot/whoomp there is is" interchangably as an occasional expression
ever since. Ever since I started playing AGD games the expression has
creepd back into regular usuage in my normnal life outside of Diablo.

foobear
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:39:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On that special day, , (mdmarshall@my-deja.com) said...

> It's a strange little
> site, they sell just one item per day, until it's sold out, and then
> another item the next day!

Heh, today they had a barebone with a handle (FIC VL67 Ice-Cube P4
Barebone), I would have liked that. But it's already sold out.


Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de


--
Ah, Information. A property, too valuable these days, to give it away,
just so, at no cost.
February 21, 2005 2:03:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

mdmarshall@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
> remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
> asked.
>
> Then I drifted away from AGD a bit.....Still play the game, though,
> might even upgrade to 1.10 someday.....B-)
>
> Then I noticed I could add woot.com to My Yahoo! It's a strange little
> site, they sell just one item per day, until it's sold out, and then
> another item the next day!
>
> Just bought my first Woot, I got 70 sheets of greeting card paper with
> envelopes, and 40 sheets of Glossy photo paper, all from HP, for $25
> with shipping!! Yay, me! WOOOT!!!! Hehhehehehe.....
>
> So, I tried to see how Woot got started. Google shows it being used in
> AGD as far back as 2003. If I try to search all groups, google won't
> go past 2004, don't know why....
>
> So, it's possible it got started at AGD!!
>
> Anyone know the story??
>
> Mike
> O-

It could be an extended abreviation of 'Without Trying!' WoT = WooT =
wOOt?
Just a thought.

Watchman :) 
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 2:03:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

> It could be an extended abreviation of 'Without Trying!' WoT = WooT =
> wOOt?
> Just a thought.

That one is almost certainly a backronym. I'm almost positive that its
origins are vocal, rather than any kind of abbreviation or anything like
that.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:19:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

>
> Then I noticed I could add woot.com to My Yahoo! It's a strange little
> site, they sell just one item per day, until it's sold out, and then
> another item the next day!
>
pretty cool site really. Appears to be a Yahoo store almost. Added it to my
favorites in case I feel the need to buy something.

> Just bought my first Woot, I got 70 sheets of greeting card paper with
> envelopes, and 40 sheets of Glossy photo paper, all from HP, for $25
> with shipping!! Yay, me! WOOOT!!!! Hehhehehehe.....
>
> So, I tried to see how Woot got started. Google shows it being used in
> AGD as far back as 2003. If I try to search all groups, google won't
> go past 2004, don't know why....
>
> So, it's possible it got started at AGD!!
>
> Anyone know the story??
>
> Mike
> O-
>
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:40:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Darrel Hoffman wrote:

* > It could be an extended abreviation of 'Without Trying!' WoT = WooT =
* > wOOt?
* > Just a thought.
*
* That one is almost certainly a backronym. I'm almost positive that its
* origins are vocal, rather than any kind of abbreviation or anything like
* that.
*
*
*

I have to second that 'vocal' origins theory. I had no idea what it meant
the first time I saw it, but I immediately thought of the ear-deafening
whistle my dad used to make when he hooked a big fish. I have seen it as
Woot, Whoot and Whoooot with varying amounts of exclamation marks. It just
seemed to be a virtual substitute for a war whoop or a loud, triumphant
whistling sound. (Context is everything)

Just me..
Elly
February 22, 2005 4:57:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

foobear wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:50:11 -0500, sidekick
> <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>
>>mdmarshall@my-deja.com wrote:
>>
>>>Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
>>>remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
>>>asked.
>>>
>>>Then I drifted away from AGD a bit.....Still play the game, though,
>>>might even upgrade to 1.10 someday.....B-)
>>>
>>>Then I noticed I could add woot.com to My Yahoo! It's a strange little
>>>site, they sell just one item per day, until it's sold out, and then
>>>another item the next day!
>>>
>>>Just bought my first Woot, I got 70 sheets of greeting card paper with
>>>envelopes, and 40 sheets of Glossy photo paper, all from HP, for $25
>>>with shipping!! Yay, me! WOOOT!!!! Hehhehehehe.....
>>>
>>>So, I tried to see how Woot got started. Google shows it being used in
>>>AGD as far back as 2003. If I try to search all groups, google won't
>>>go past 2004, don't know why....
>>>
>>>So, it's possible it got started at AGD!!
>>>
>>>Anyone know the story??
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>O-
>>>
>>
>>I remember a tv show in the 70's called Welcome back Cotter. It was set
>>in a high school where John Travolta played Vinnie Barbarino. I think
>>its where Travolta got his start. His catch phrase was "woot?" He was
>>saying "what?" but with an Italian/New York accent it came out woot. I
>>am guessing that is the same "word" used here.
>> Anyone else got any other ideas?
>
>
> You must have been watching a different version of Welcome Back Kotter
> than I was. I don't remember Vinnies "what" sounding anything like a
> "woot".
>
> foobear (yes, I'm old enouigh to have watched it when it was
> originally broadcast)

whuh?

Jim
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:35:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

My my, doesn't mdmarshall@my-deja.com look good in that trenchcoat:

>Hey, just curious here, how did the term "Woot" get started? I
>remember many here, SVH in particular, saying it a lot, and never
>asked.

0t used to say it a lot, and I kind of like the sound of it. But yes, I
believe it's been around for a long time in one form or another.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:11:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

My my, doesn't Ellen <finesse@u.washington.edu> look good in that trenchcoat:

>I have to second that 'vocal' origins theory. I had no idea what it meant
>the first time I saw it, but I immediately thought of the ear-deafening
>whistle my dad used to make when he hooked a big fish. I have seen it as
>Woot, Whoot and Whoooot with varying amounts of exclamation marks. It just
>seemed to be a virtual substitute for a war whoop or a loud, triumphant
>whistling sound. (Context is everything)

Especially when one isn't playing a barb but needs something to use for
victory dances over the unraveled corpses of act bosses.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:19:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:28:44 -0400, foobear <bearmac@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>You must have been watching a different version of Welcome Back Kotter
>than I was. I don't remember Vinnies "what" sounding anything like a
>"woot".
>
>foobear (yes, I'm old enouigh to have watched it when it was
>originally broadcast)

Ew ew ew, Mr. Kotter Mr. Kotter! Heh, you're not the only one ;-)

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16
!