Wi-Fi security wallpaper

Tired of tinkering with WEP, WAP, passwords, firewalls, and other
Wi-Fi security measures? Well, one company thinks it has the answer;
Wi-Fi absorband wallpaper.
Simply hang it on the walls of your house or office, and nobody on the
outside will be able to sniff your wireless traffic. You could run a
disgustingly insecure wireless network and probably feel safe. As an
added bonus, it's transparent to other frequencies so your cell phone
and AM/FM/TV will still work. I wonder if the wallpaper comes in
designer colours and patterns.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Tired of tinkering with WEP, WAP, passwords, firewalls, and other
> Wi-Fi security measures? Well, one company thinks it has the answer;
> Wi-Fi absorband wallpaper.
> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996240
> Simply hang it on the walls of your house or office, and nobody on the
> outside will be able to sniff your wireless traffic. You could run a
> disgustingly insecure wireless network and probably feel safe. As an
> added bonus, it's transparent to other frequencies so your cell phone
> and AM/FM/TV will still work. I wonder if the wallpaper comes in
> designer colours and patterns.

Do they also offer wifi-opaque venetian blinds :->?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:07:08 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
>> Tired of tinkering with WEP, WAP, passwords, firewalls, and other
>> Wi-Fi security measures? Well, one company thinks it has the answer;
>> Wi-Fi absorband wallpaper.
>> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996240
>> Simply hang it on the walls of your house or office, and nobody on the
>> outside will be able to sniff your wireless traffic. You could run a
>> disgustingly insecure wireless network and probably feel safe. As an
>> added bonus, it's transparent to other frequencies so your cell phone
>> and AM/FM/TV will still work. I wonder if the wallpaper comes in
>> designer colours and patterns.

>Do they also offer wifi-opaque venetian blinds :->?

Only for vertically polarized Wi-Fi systems. Horizontal polarization
will go right through. Actually, the aluminized reflective coating on
some office building windows does an effective job of blocking most
RF. Maybe just plastering the kitchen with the stuff to keep the
microwave oven from trashing my downloads.

I wonder if I can order it tuned to the various radar speed trap
frequencies and wallpaper my truck with it? Hmmmm...

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Doesn't beat this...

http://www.j-walk.com/other/wifispray/

NM//

> Tired of tinkering with WEP, WAP, passwords, firewalls, and other
> Wi-Fi security measures? Well, one company thinks it has the answer;
> Wi-Fi absorband wallpaper.
> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996240
> Simply hang it on the walls of your house or office, and nobody on the
> outside will be able to sniff your wireless traffic. You could run a
> disgustingly insecure wireless network and probably feel safe. As an
> added bonus, it's transparent to other frequencies so your cell phone
> and AM/FM/TV will still work. I wonder if the wallpaper comes in
> designer colours and patterns.

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

This is the part I liked most:

"Ofcom engineers have confirmed to New Scientist that the wallpaper can
block Wi-Fi at 2.4, 5 and 6 gigahertz, while letting through GSM and 3G
cellphone signals, plus emergency service calls"

Selective filter wallpaper... sold by square inches?

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> Tired of tinkering with WEP, WAP, passwords, firewalls, and other
> Wi-Fi security measures? Well, one company thinks it has the answer;
> Wi-Fi absorband wallpaper.
> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996240
> Simply hang it on the walls of your house or office, and nobody on the
> outside will be able to sniff your wireless traffic. You could run a
> disgustingly insecure wireless network and probably feel safe. As an
> added bonus, it's transparent to other frequencies so your cell phone
> and AM/FM/TV will still work. I wonder if the wallpaper comes in
> designer colours and patterns.

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
alt.internet.wireless - 36649 messages and counting!

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:01:24 GMT,
info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com))
wrote:

>This is the part I liked most:
>
>"Ofcom engineers have confirmed to New Scientist that the wallpaper can
>block Wi-Fi at 2.4, 5 and 6 gigahertz, while letting through GSM and 3G
>cellphone signals, plus emergency service calls"
>
>Selective filter wallpaper... sold by square inches?

Sold by the wavelength?

Well, it might be a new business opportunity. Two of my corporate
customers have asked what it would take to create a fairly RF free
area. Their concern was that someone might install a stealth access
point in the server room and use it to wiretap their traffic. (Never
mind that they have a gigabit ethernet internal backbone that would
instantly saturate any wireless device). However, they wanted cell
phones to continue to function so the various admins and support
personalities could be accessible (and not use the server rooms to
hide from management). I was thinking of aluminium (or copper) sheet
or mesh on the walls, steel doors, finger stock, ferrite feedthru's,
and RF bypassed power lines, with a cellular repeater to maintain
selective RF access. However, this wallpaper sounds cheaper.

Of course, these are the same people that wanted an illegal cell phone
jammer installed in the board room, but that would not jam the CEO's
phone. I convinced them that a small sign with "Pay $50 to the
charity fund if your phone or pager interrupts a meeting" would
suffice. It worked.

If you're thinking of ordering a sample, please note that although the
800MHz GSM frequencies are the same in the USA and UK, the PCS
frequencies are roughly 1900MHz in UK and 1800MHz in the USA.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Joe

"A Guy With A Camera" <ddc2b@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Doesn't beat this...
>
> http://www.j-walk.com/other/wifispray/

It's the disclaimer that makes it a real hoot - clearly a practical joke -
but fun nonetheless:

WiFi Speed Spray™ is safe and effective when used as directed. However, the
product is known to the State of California to cause cancer; developmental
toxicity; and/or male pattern baldness. For outdoor use only. Do not use
near electrical appliances. WiFi Speed Spray™ should not be used in the
presence of pregnant women, women who have been pregnant, or women who may
some day become pregnant. Keep away from children and household pets
(especially birds). Do not take internally. If a persistent cough or partial
paralysis develops, consult a physician,

Made in Malaysia, by Malaysians. Not intended for use by Malaysians.

Hope no Malaysians try to smuggle it into their homes!!