Sign in with
Your question

Finding CD Keys of Installed Games

Last response: in Video Games
December 17, 2007 2:54:42 PM

Hi - Does anyone know how I can find the cd keys of games that I have installed on my computer. I don't have the code written down anywhere and I wanted to back up the code in case I need them in the future. Thanks!
December 17, 2007 3:24:58 PM

The keys are in your registry most likely. Where at in the registry? It's different for each game, so I can't give you a specific answer.

Just start searching your registry for the game's folder / file name and do some snooping from there. (or just google search for it - I'm sure someone else has found it's location :p ).
December 17, 2007 3:55:51 PM

Hi - Thanks for answering. I see folders in regedit that have the names of the games that I'm trying to find keys for but I don't know what to do from there. I click on the entries in the right hand pane but it doesn't come up in to where I can read anything from it. I just get something that pops up with Edit String with a Value Name and Value Data. I don't know how to figure out what the code is from all of this. Any idea? Also, I don't know if the code is encrypted or not. Thanks!
Related resources
December 17, 2007 4:33:11 PM

Here's an example for the location of a BF2 cd key - "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc"

I can't tell you what to look for because I don't know what games you have and / or where they store the keys during install. Just google something like "<game> CD key registry".
December 17, 2007 8:20:07 PM

It varies depending on WHICH game.
December 17, 2007 9:46:21 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I know that it varies depending on which game you are talking about. I know how to find the files for the games. My question is once you find the location specific to the game, what do you do from there? I found entries for the games in two places. One, HKey_Current_User\Software\Alaware\[then folders for each game]; the second one is in HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Alaware\[but here there is only one item, not folders for each of the games]. I try double clicking on the entries but I can't read the content of the entries. I'm doing this in RegEdit. Is that the right program? The games I'm talking about are Snowy Lunch Rush and Ice Puzzle Deluxe. I'm not trying to be dense or anything it's just that I don't know what to do next. I'm not sure that I'm making my question clear. Thanks for your patience!
!