Is there a way to batch edit file properties?

I have a large directory of downloaded shareware. I keep track of what i have
by individually editing the properties of each program. However, some of the
programs are multipart .rar types. And i have at least a few hundred programs
so far.

I am looking for a utility that will let me batch edit file properties such as
Title, Author, Summary, and Comments, so I don't have to edit each file or
file part individually. Windows doesn't let me do this in Explorer. Powerdesk
has a proprietary system, but it isn't preserved when moving or copying files.
Any Suggestions?

CUL8R

R*Horse

www.sonic.net/~lkokot

"Take a look behind you - upstream - now you begin to
recognize this country, don't you?"

"Yes, I do recognize it now. It is the most wonderful
thing I ever heard of; by a long shot the most
wonderful - and unexpected."

Mark Twain
Life on the Mississippi
4 answers Last reply
More about batch edit file properties

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:22:23 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner
    <rockinghorse@anonymous.to> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers:

    >I have a large directory of downloaded shareware. I keep track of what i have
    >by individually editing the properties of each program. However, some of the
    >programs are multipart .rar types. And i have at least a few hundred programs
    >so far.
    >
    >I am looking for a utility that will let me batch edit file properties such as
    >Title, Author, Summary, and Comments, so I don't have to edit each file or
    >file part individually. Windows doesn't let me do this in Explorer. Powerdesk
    >has a proprietary system, but it isn't preserved when moving or copying files.
    >Any Suggestions?

    Explorer's Summary tab in files' properties sheets is entirely
    undocumented. All I know is that the items are stored in Alternate Data
    Streams (ADS) named
    CHAR(5)DocumentSummaryInformation:$data and
    CHAR(5)SummaryInformation:$data
    where CHAR(5) is 0x05 or the ASCII character ENQ. How the various parts
    of the Summary tab are stored within that file, I don't know.

    The CLI I use (4NT) provides ADS support which can display and otherwise
    manipulate ADSs, but in the absence of any MS documentation that doesn't
    get me anywhere.

    It has been reported by the Department of Homeland Security that on Sat, 11
    Sep 2004 22:07:24 +1000, Michael Bednarek ROT13 <zo@zorqanerx.pbz> wrote the
    following intercepted missive:

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:22:23 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner
    ><rockinghorse@anonymous.to> wrote in
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers:
    >
    >>I have a large directory of downloaded shareware. I keep track of what i have
    >>by individually editing the properties of each program. However, some of the
    >>programs are multipart .rar types. And i have at least a few hundred programs
    >>so far.
    >>
    >>I am looking for a utility that will let me batch edit file properties such as
    >>Title, Author, Summary, and Comments, so I don't have to edit each file or
    >>file part individually. Windows doesn't let me do this in Explorer. Powerdesk
    >>has a proprietary system, but it isn't preserved when moving or copying files.
    >>Any Suggestions?
    >
    >Explorer's Summary tab in files' properties sheets is entirely
    >undocumented. All I know is that the items are stored in Alternate Data
    >Streams (ADS) named
    >CHAR(5)DocumentSummaryInformation:$data and
    >CHAR(5)SummaryInformation:$data
    >where CHAR(5) is 0x05 or the ASCII character ENQ. How the various parts
    >of the Summary tab are stored within that file, I don't know.
    >
    >The CLI I use (4NT) provides ADS support which can display and otherwise
    >manipulate ADSs, but in the absence of any MS documentation that doesn't
    >get me anywhere.
    Thanks for the info. Do you know any apps that will catalog software?

    CUL8R

    R*Horse

    www.sonic.net/~lkokot

    "Take a look behind you - upstream - now you begin to
    recognize this country, don't you?"

    "Yes, I do recognize it now. It is the most wonderful
    thing I ever heard of; by a long shot the most
    wonderful - and unexpected."

    Mark Twain
    Life on the Mississippi

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:52:03 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner
    <rockinghorse@anonymous.to> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers:

    [snip]

    >Thanks for the info. Do you know any apps that will catalog software?

    There are gazillions of catalog programs out there. I don't use any
    myself.

    (Usenet Posting Style: You should shorten your signature; your Follow-up
    intro is rather silly.)

    It has been reported by the Department of Homeland Security that on Sun, 12
    Sep 2004 15:07:50 +1000, Michael Bednarek ROT13 <zo@zorqanerx.pbz> wrote the
    following intercepted missive:

    >On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:52:03 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner
    ><rockinghorse@anonymous.to> wrote in
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >>Thanks for the info. Do you know any apps that will catalog software?
    >
    >There are gazillions of catalog programs out there. I don't use any
    >myself.
    >
    >(Usenet Posting Style: You should shorten your signature; your Follow-up
    >intro is rather silly.)

    Thanks for the info.

    If I ever need any other advice, I'll be sure to ask you for it : )

    CUL8R

    R*Horse

    www.sonic.net/~lkokot

    "Take a look behind you - upstream - now you begin to
    recognize this country, don't you?"

    "Yes, I do recognize it now. It is the most wonderful
    thing I ever heard of; by a long shot the most
    wonderful - and unexpected."

    Mark Twain
    Life on the Mississippi

Microsoft Windows XP