Until recently, when I Saved picture As, it would save as a jpeg by default
and give me the choice of other formats with the drop - down menu. Now it it
saves as BMP and gives me no choice. Is there a way that I can get back my
choices?
--
Paul

Paul429 wrote:
> Until recently, when I Saved picture As, it would save as a jpeg by
> default and give me the choice of other formats with the drop -
> down menu. Now it it saves as BMP and gives me no choice. Is there
> a way that I can get back my choices?

Basically, you need to clean up your temporary Internet files.

Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q260650

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

Thanks. I regularly clean out my temporary internet files and I checked that
"Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is not ticked but I still have the
problem.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Paul429 wrote:
> > Until recently, when I Saved picture As, it would save as a jpeg by
> > default and give me the choice of other formats with the drop -
> > down menu. Now it it saves as BMP and gives me no choice. Is there
> > a way that I can get back my choices?
>

> Basically, you need to clean up your temporary Internet files.
>
> Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in Proper Format
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q260650
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH

Hi

Try clearing out the Temporary Internet Files folder:

With Internet Explorer open, go to Tools>Internet Options and click on
'Delete files...'. Then try saving the files again.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Paul429" <Paul429@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Until recently, when I Saved picture As, it would save as a jpeg by
> default
> and give me the choice of other formats with the drop - down menu. Now it
> it
> saves as BMP and gives me no choice. Is there a way that I can get back my
> choices?
> --
> Paul

Paul,

This helps for some users:

Delete the History folder and index.dat:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Type in Start/Run dialog:
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

Both to fix the "Content Type" values in the registry.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Paul429 wrote:
> > Until recently, when I Saved picture As, it would save as a jpeg by
> > default and give me the choice of other formats with the drop -
> > down menu. Now it it saves as BMP and gives me no choice. Is there
> > a way that I can get back my choices?
>

> Basically, you need to clean up your temporary Internet files.
>
> Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in Proper Format
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q260650
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH

Thanks Ramesh. Did all that but still have the problem. I've now discovered
that if I right click the picture and send it via email then it is sent as a
JPEG! Curiouser and and curiouser.

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> Paul,
>
> This helps for some users:
>
> Delete the History folder and index.dat:
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
>
> Type in Start/Run dialog:
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
>
> Both to fix the "Content Type" values in the registry.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Paul429" <Paul429@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. I regularly clean out my temporary internet files and I checked that
> "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is not ticked but I still have the
> problem.
>
> "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
>
> > Paul429 wrote:
> > > Until recently, when I Saved picture As, it would save as a jpeg by
> > > default and give me the choice of other formats with the drop -
> > > down menu. Now it it saves as BMP and gives me no choice. Is there
> > > a way that I can get back my choices?
> >

> > Basically, you need to clean up your temporary Internet files.
> >
> > Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in Proper Format
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q260650
> >
> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> > having both at once. - RAH

Paul,

Clearing the TIF helps for a majority of cases. Other possibilities covered
in KB810978.

Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978

Apart from that, don't know what would be the problem.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> Paul,
>
> This helps for some users:
>
> Delete the History folder and index.dat:
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
>
> Type in Start/Run dialog:
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
>
> Both to fix the "Content Type" values in the registry.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Paul429" <Paul429@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. I regularly clean out my temporary internet files and I checked
> that
> "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is not ticked but I still have the
> problem.

Thanks Ramesh. Still no luck, though. I've found that, in file name, if I
type "anything" then .jpeg, it will save as a jpeg. Time consuming but I
guess that wil have to do. Thanks again.