fastest memory for a P4 1.8 400fsb

amano75

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2002
I have a P4 1.8 running at 400. I want to upgrade my mobo because it runs on pc133 sdram. i heard that replacing your mobo means u will most likely reinstall winxp, is this true? also, my original reason for posting this: what kind of mem can i get w/ a new board that runs at 400 fsb? i heard only DDR 2100, but i would like to run my memory at 333 or faster. should i wait for the Granite Bay Chipset? or is that for ppl w/ faster Intel chips then my 1.8?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you have an i845 SDRAM board and replace it with a nearly identicle i845 DDR SDRAM board you probably will have few if any problems with software. Of course if you were running 9x you could change almost anything without reinstalling the OS simply by removing the existing devices from controll panel.

Yes, dual channel would be a better solution (Granit Bay, Sis 655), but probably not worth the wait considering your CPU.

And there is another problem, you could be using the old Socket423 P4 which is not compatable with newer boards.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

amano75

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2002
im confused by what you mean by my P4 not working w/ newer boards? i know my mobo is running at the older 400 front side bus versus the 533 fsb. is that what you mean by my P4 not being compatable w/ newer boards or is there something else i need to know? so far as i can tell, as long as i get a board that is a P4 socket 478; capable of 400 and 533 fsb, i should be ok....right? that way later on down the road, when i get a newer P4 running @ 533, i wont need to upgrade my mobo.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Reread what I said? There were TWO sockets for the P4, the original (socket423) was introduced around two years ago, and the replacement (socket478) was introduced around 1 year ago.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>