non-HDCP monitor for PS3

antohnee

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
well i have a 19" viewsonic vx1932wm with no HDMI. im planning on playing my ps3 on it with and HDMI cord w/ a HDMI to DVI adapter. i was wondering if my monitor will still work even though i've heard a lot of cases where it wont. i read somewhere that if it's a 24-pin DVI slot then it could work. i also heard that it would work, just not for blu-ray movies. i only plan on playing games on the monitor, so i dont care about the movies.
help will be greatly appreciated

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I believe it won't. I am not 100% sure but as far as I know if it doesn't have HDCP, then it won't be able to decode the PS3 signal. I have a PS3 myself but my monitor is HDCP compliant (actually I am plugging directly with HDMI) so I haven't tested it.

theclaw

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
mman74 is correct. You'll need additional hardware to do that. All PS3s require an HDCP compliant monitor or seperate converter box to output any video on its HDMI port.

By comparsion, Xbox 360 only enables HDCP for certain types of movies with HDMI or DVI. Not the menu and games as with PS3.

Weirdo0815

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I haven't been able to get an Adapter cable to work with my PS3. I have a HDMI to DVI cable and all I get is static on the screen. Even going HDMI to my Marantz A/V Receiver then HDMI-to-DVI to my TV, my PS3 wont display where my 360, thru the same A/V receiver and HDMI-to-DVI cable works fine. From what I have seen, the signal has to be handled completely by HDMI cables and HDCP devices. There may be some device out there to bypass the HDCP part but I have never seen anything bypass the HDMI cable so you can use DVI.