stuart

I am a new XP user and have just installed XP" sevice pack
from disc provided by microsoft. From bootup the screen
goes straight to request Safemode or select return last
known configuration. Trying this just brings me to windows
xp screen and locks there. Can anyone help????

You can not get to Safe mode or Last Known Good Configuration?
Then perform a Repair Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

Then install SP-2 following the Service Pack Installation checklist:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Stuart" <stuness@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am a new XP user and have just installed XP" sevice pack
> from disc provided by microsoft. From bootup the screen
> goes straight to request Safemode or select return last
> known configuration. Trying this just brings me to windows
> xp screen and locks there. Can anyone help????

"Stuart" <stuness@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I am a new XP user and have just installed XP" sevice pack
>from disc provided by microsoft. From bootup the screen
>goes straight to request Safemode or select return last
>known configuration. Trying this just brings me to windows
>xp screen and locks there. Can anyone help????

I'd go back to a previous saved configuration, or delete XP2, and try again.
Here is some things i read to do before installing #4 is important :

Right before you try again to install, best to be safer than sorry.
1) In Internet Explorer, delete "cookies, "temp files", and "history".
2) turn off your antivirus software.
3) disable your 3rd part firewall. So I guess if you are going to try it
online, make sure you enable XP's built-in firewall after disabling the
3rd party one.
4) problems have been reported because of poorly written ad ware and spyware.
So run Adaware right before too. Run any other anti-spyware programs you
have.
-------
OT : The steel knights (st33l-Kn1ghts) is a small Yahoo Messenger based
chatroom club. Whether you are a techie or a newbie, female or male, they're
looking for some new blood. Just be half-way mature is all. It's nice to
know the people you chat with in a chatroom environment.
http://www.steel-knights.com . (you can run Yahoo Messenger & Windows/MSN
Messenger at the same time with no conflicts).

...D.