Default duplication of My Documents and My Pictures in Mus..

Files and folders saved in "My Docments" or "My Pictures" are duplicated in 2
other locations; Pauls Docs & Doc & Settings\Paul\My Documents. Furthermore
all default folders have music tasks related options in the left hand viewing
pane and the music note watermark in bottom R corner, be it written docs, or
pictures. The problem baffles me a fraction further as the remote keyboard
hot keys take me to these defaults and defy attempts to change.
Where should I be reading up to get a grasp on managing my folders?
How can I stop the duplication of My Documents and My Picture folders?
Any action taken in one manifests in the others-including deletion.
Thanks and regards.
Our thoughts are with you at ground zero this weekend.
10 answers Last reply
More about default duplication documents pictures

    They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you do in
    the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under the
    mirrored ones.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Paul - Melboure, Oz." <PaulMelboureOz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:73D5454F-1844-4272-965B-95050EA3F645@microsoft.com...
    > Files and folders saved in "My Docments" or "My Pictures" are duplicated
    > in 2
    > other locations; Pauls Docs & Doc & Settings\Paul\My Documents.
    > Furthermore
    > all default folders have music tasks related options in the left hand
    > viewing
    > pane and the music note watermark in bottom R corner, be it written docs,
    > or
    > pictures. The problem baffles me a fraction further as the remote keyboard
    > hot keys take me to these defaults and defy attempts to change.
    > Where should I be reading up to get a grasp on managing my folders?
    > How can I stop the duplication of My Documents and My Picture folders?
    > Any action taken in one manifests in the others-including deletion.
    > Thanks and regards.
    > Our thoughts are with you at ground zero this weekend.

    Another Newbie question:

    So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
    mirror list?

    TIA

    > They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you do
    in
    > the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under the
    > mirrored ones.

    Hi,

    No, not really, they are built into the system.

    --

    "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
    > Another Newbie question:
    >
    > So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
    > mirror list?
    >
    > TIA

    >> They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you do
    > in
    >> the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under
    >> the
    >> mirrored ones.

    OH! Well, I misstated the question. Can I delete just the files so that the
    system will recreate the mirror links on the new files?

    TIA again
    > Hi,
    >
    > No, not really, they are built into the system.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
    > > Another Newbie question:
    > >
    > > So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
    > > mirror list?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you
    do
    > > in
    > >> the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under
    > >> the
    > >> mirrored ones.

    Hi Pepe,

    You still miss the point. The files / folders reside in a single area, only
    the pointers to the files are in two or more areas. So there is no need to
    recreate the mirror links.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    OH! Well, I misstated the question. Can I delete just the files so that the
    system will recreate the mirror links on the new files?

    TIA again
    > Hi,
    >
    > No, not really, they are built into the system.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
    > > Another Newbie question:
    > >
    > > So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
    > > mirror list?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you
    do
    > > in
    > >> the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under
    > >> the
    > >> mirrored ones.

    Thanks again for your patience, but, I would like to clean up the list
    of paths (links) that are in the My Network Places folder. I have
    reorganized
    my laptop, external hard drive and a network pc. I want to delete all of the
    list
    and as I used the new paths and file locations I wonder or hope that the
    list
    will be recreated. Is this true and is it OK? Again thanks

    > Hi Pepe,
    >
    > You still miss the point. The files / folders reside in a single area,
    only
    > the pointers to the files are in two or more areas. So there is no need to
    > recreate the mirror links.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
    > OH! Well, I misstated the question. Can I delete just the files so that
    the
    > system will recreate the mirror links on the new files?
    >
    > TIA again
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > No, not really, they are built into the system.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
    > > > Another Newbie question:
    > > >
    > > > So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
    > > > mirror list?
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > >

    > > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > do
    > > > in

    Pepe,

    Where do the links point to? Right-click Delete, or type Nethood in Start,
    Run and you can delete the entries from that folder.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Thanks again for your patience, but, I would like to clean up the list
    of paths (links) that are in the My Network Places folder. I have
    reorganized
    my laptop, external hard drive and a network pc. I want to delete all of the
    list
    and as I used the new paths and file locations I wonder or hope that the
    list
    will be recreated. Is this true and is it OK? Again thanks

    > Hi Pepe,
    >
    > You still miss the point. The files / folders reside in a single area,
    only
    > the pointers to the files are in two or more areas. So there is no need to
    > recreate the mirror links.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
    > OH! Well, I misstated the question. Can I delete just the files so that
    the
    > system will recreate the mirror links on the new files?
    >
    > TIA again
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > No, not really, they are built into the system.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
    > > > Another Newbie question:
    > > >
    > > > So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
    > > > mirror list?
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > >

    > > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > do
    > > > in

    Hi Ramesh, the links point to different drives and files on my home network
    that
    I share with two desk tops, a laptop and an external HD. A few of them do
    not work
    because I moved folders to other HDs.

    If I delete as you say will the system recreate new links during the normal
    use in the My Network Places?

    Thanks

    > Pepe,
    >
    > Where do the links point to? Right-click Delete, or type Nethood in Start,
    > Run and you can delete the entries from that folder.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    No. The link for dead shares should not be recreated.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Hi Ramesh, the links point to different drives and files on my home network
    that
    I share with two desk tops, a laptop and an external HD. A few of them do
    not work
    because I moved folders to other HDs.

    If I delete as you say will the system recreate new links during the normal
    use in the My Network Places?

    Thanks

    > Pepe,
    >
    > Where do the links point to? Right-click Delete, or type Nethood in Start,
    > Run and you can delete the entries from that folder.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Thanks for all your help

    > No. The link for dead shares should not be recreated.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Ramesh, the links point to different drives and files on my home
    network
    > that
    > I share with two desk tops, a laptop and an external HD. A few of them do
    > not work
    > because I moved folders to other HDs.
    >
    > If I delete as you say will the system recreate new links during the
    normal
    > use in the My Network Places?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Pepe,
    > >
    > > Where do the links point to? Right-click Delete, or type Nethood in
    Start,
    > > Run and you can delete the entries from that folder.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Default My Documents Windows XP