AC/DC Adapter life-span???

I have an HP F1454A - AC Adapter, for my Pavilion N5270 laptop. I've used
it constantly for three years. Power from it is now beginning to come and
go like a light bulb flickers intermittently for a few days before it burns
out. When the "flickering" begins, power to the laptop begins switching
from AC to battery -- back-and-forth, back-and-forth. When it begins, if I
jiggle it, or turn it over, or change its position, the AC will return to
normal.

Is it possible that this AC Adapter has reached the end of its life-span?
Is there another reason for the intermittent AC interruption? Is there a
better AC Adapter to replace it with, if necessary?

Thanks,
2 answers Last reply
More about adapter life span

    >From: "Scot" greatscotinla@hotmail.com
    >Date: 06/05/2004 4:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    >
    >I have an HP F1454A - AC Adapter, for my Pavilion N5270 laptop. I've used
    >it constantly for three years. Power from it is now beginning to come and
    >go like a light bulb flickers intermittently for a few days before it burns
    >out. When the "flickering" begins, power to the laptop begins switching
    >from AC to battery -- back-and-forth, back-and-forth. When it begins, if I
    >jiggle it, or turn it over, or change its position, the AC will return to
    >normal.
    >
    >Is it possible that this AC Adapter has reached the end of its life-span?
    >Is there another reason for the intermittent AC interruption? Is there a
    >better AC Adapter to replace it with, if necessary?
    >
    >Thanks,

    Sounds like a loose connection or bad solder joint inside it. But there's lots
    of these adapters available on Ebay - I just did a search on that part number &
    got 25 hits on Ebay.

    Scot <greatscotinla@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I have an HP F1454A - AC Adapter, for my Pavilion N5270 laptop. I've used
    > it constantly for three years. Power from it is now beginning to come and
    > go like a light bulb flickers intermittently for a few days before it burns
    > out. When the "flickering" begins, power to the laptop begins switching
    > from AC to battery -- back-and-forth, back-and-forth. When it begins, if I
    > jiggle it, or turn it over, or change its position, the AC will return to
    > normal.
    >
    > Is it possible that this AC Adapter has reached the end of its life-span?
    > Is there another reason for the intermittent AC interruption? Is there a
    > better AC Adapter to replace it with, if necessary?

    Does that have a detachable (AC) power cord? If so, it may be the
    connection between the power cord and the adapter. I had this problem
    with a European Texas Instruments (laptop) adapter and replacing the
    power cord 'fixed' it (the adapter side was also burnt/coroded, but with
    new contacts on the power cord the burns/corrosion on the adapter side
    were no longer a problem).

Hewlett Packard Laptops Power Computers