AC/DC Adapter life-span???

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
June 6, 2004 12:43:22 AM

I have an HP F1454A - AC Adapter, for my Pavilion N5270 laptop. I've used
it constantly for three years. Power from it is now beginning to come and
go like a light bulb flickers intermittently for a few days before it burns
out. When the "flickering" begins, power to the laptop begins switching
from AC to battery -- back-and-forth, back-and-forth. When it begins, if I
jiggle it, or turn it over, or change its position, the AC will return to
normal.

Is it possible that this AC Adapter has reached the end of its life-span?
Is there another reason for the intermittent AC interruption? Is there a
better AC Adapter to replace it with, if necessary?

Thanks,

More about : adapter life span

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2004 2:24:11 AM

>From: "Scot" greatscotinla@hotmail.com
>Date: 06/05/2004 4:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>
>I have an HP F1454A - AC Adapter, for my Pavilion N5270 laptop. I've used
>it constantly for three years. Power from it is now beginning to come and
>go like a light bulb flickers intermittently for a few days before it burns
>out. When the "flickering" begins, power to the laptop begins switching
>from AC to battery -- back-and-forth, back-and-forth. When it begins, if I
>jiggle it, or turn it over, or change its position, the AC will return to
>normal.
>
>Is it possible that this AC Adapter has reached the end of its life-span?
>Is there another reason for the intermittent AC interruption? Is there a
>better AC Adapter to replace it with, if necessary?
>
>Thanks,

Sounds like a loose connection or bad solder joint inside it. But there's lots
of these adapters available on Ebay - I just did a search on that part number &
got 25 hits on Ebay.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 6:42:29 PM

Scot <greatscotinla@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have an HP F1454A - AC Adapter, for my Pavilion N5270 laptop. I've used
> it constantly for three years. Power from it is now beginning to come and
> go like a light bulb flickers intermittently for a few days before it burns
> out. When the "flickering" begins, power to the laptop begins switching
> from AC to battery -- back-and-forth, back-and-forth. When it begins, if I
> jiggle it, or turn it over, or change its position, the AC will return to
> normal.
>
> Is it possible that this AC Adapter has reached the end of its life-span?
> Is there another reason for the intermittent AC interruption? Is there a
> better AC Adapter to replace it with, if necessary?

Does that have a detachable (AC) power cord? If so, it may be the
connection between the power cord and the adapter. I had this problem
with a European Texas Instruments (laptop) adapter and replacing the
power cord 'fixed' it (the adapter side was also burnt/coroded, but with
new contacts on the power cord the burns/corrosion on the adapter side
were no longer a problem).
!