I'm coming to Verizon and need advice.

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 23, 2004 11:16:57 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm finally leaving Sprint PCS and to Verizon. My question is about the
phones, I have no landline so I need a phone with good reception. Right know
I'm looking at the Samsung SCH-a530s, Motorola V60s and the LG VX4600, but
know nothing about them. One other thing that is important is the size; I'm
looking for something small.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

AJ

More about : coming verizon advice

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 11:16:58 PM

In my experience, all Verizon phones work well as phones.....

I'm partial, right now, to the Audiovox 8600 - I like the phonebook software
and operation along with the data access, etc., that I use quite a lot as I
travel extensively. Living in San Diego and traveling to Washington, DC
provides the added bonus that those two areas have "1X" active.....

PC

"AJB" <dacalypsomon@yahoo.com.com> wrote in message
| Hello everyone,
|

| I'm finally leaving Sprint PCS and to Verizon. My question is about the
| phones, I have no landline so I need a phone with good reception. Right
know
| I'm looking at the Samsung SCH-a530s, Motorola V60s and the LG VX4600, but
| know nothing about them. One other thing that is important is the size;
I'm
| looking for something small.
|

| Any advice would be appreciated.
|

| Thanks
|
| AJ

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 12:25:44 AM

Just got my daughter the a530s 2 weeks ago - so far good performance. It is
all digital, so you need to see where you operate and if you will need
analog too. It is very small. I have an Audiovox CDM8600 that is just
slightly larger, Phone performance is ok (has analog too). The 8600
phonebook interface is one of the worst I've ever seen on any phone. The
speakerphone is not very loud and of limited utility. Both phones have USB
cables so you can connect a computer via 1XRTT for internet use and also
synch a phonebook. Synch is a misnomer, as any voicetags and ringers get
scrambled and need to be reset if whenever I synch (both on Quicklink and
Futuredial).

Moto V60s is a no frills mono display, but good speakerphone. The synch
tools for Motorola phones (Truesynch) are much better. I've had no
experience with the 4600. Hope this helps.

"AJB" <dacalypsomon@yahoo.com.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>

> I'm finally leaving Sprint PCS and to Verizon. My question is about the
> phones, I have no landline so I need a phone with good reception. Right
know
> I'm looking at the Samsung SCH-a530s, Motorola V60s and the LG VX4600, but
> know nothing about them. One other thing that is important is the size;
I'm
> looking for something small.
>

> Any advice would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>
> AJ

May 24, 2004 12:25:45 AM

Can't agree with your comments in re the Audiovox 8600 - you might have the
unit checked.

I find it's performance to be more than "good" and the phone book interface
is fine for me. I also don't find the problems you report when syncing with
Quicklink. The speakerphone could be louder, but it's acceptable unless
you're in a very noisy environment.

You're entitled to your opinion, but my experience tells me the 8600 is a
solid performer.....

PC

"Slick Willy" <slick_willy_@EATSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Just got my daughter the a530s 2 weeks ago - so far good performance. It
is
| all digital, so you need to see where you operate and if you will need
| analog too. It is very small. I have an Audiovox CDM8600 that is just
| slightly larger, Phone performance is ok (has analog too). The 8600
| phonebook interface is one of the worst I've ever seen on any phone. The
| speakerphone is not very loud and of limited utility. Both phones have
USB
| cables so you can connect a computer via 1XRTT for internet use and also
| synch a phonebook. Synch is a misnomer, as any voicetags and ringers get
| scrambled and need to be reset if whenever I synch (both on Quicklink and
| Futuredial).
|
| Moto V60s is a no frills mono display, but good speakerphone. The synch
| tools for Motorola phones (Truesynch) are much better. I've had no
| experience with the 4600. Hope this helps.
|
| "AJB" <dacalypsomon@yahoo.com.com> wrote in message
| > Hello everyone,
| >

| > I'm finally leaving Sprint PCS and to Verizon. My question is about the
| > phones, I have no landline so I need a phone with good reception. Right
| know
| > I'm looking at the Samsung SCH-a530s, Motorola V60s and the LG VX4600,
but
| > know nothing about them. One other thing that is important is the size;
| I'm
| > looking for something small.
| >

| > Any advice would be appreciated.
| >

| > Thanks
| >
| > AJ

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 2:32:39 AM

I always consider if a phone has analog capability. This will have more or
less importance depending on your location and where you like to use your
phone. I also realize this has become much less of an issue over time,
however, it's really nice to be able to make calls from remote rural
locations where this may be the only option. Having analog as fallback is
kind of like insurance, you hope you don't need to use it, but it's nice to
have when you do.

Verizon's native network is all digital, but they depend on roaming partners
to fill out their coverage. Notice that the AC map does show areas that are
analog with sort of a pink color. The dark red areas indicate digital AC
coverage. The grey areas indicate that roaming coverage is available
(although not included with the AC plan). It's unclear if the grey area is
digital or not, but given the rural nature of the grey areas, I'd assume
most of that requires analog capability.

-Dan

"AJB" <dacalypsomon@yahoo.com.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>

> I'm finally leaving Sprint PCS and to Verizon. My question is about the
> phones, I have no landline so I need a phone with good reception. Right
know
> I'm looking at the Samsung SCH-a530s, Motorola V60s and the LG VX4600, but
> know nothing about them. One other thing that is important is the size;
I'm
> looking for something small.
>

> Any advice would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>
> AJ

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 4:16:17 PM

On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:16:57 -0500, AJB wrote:

> I'm finally leaving Sprint PCS and to Verizon. My question is about the
> phones, I have no landline so I need a phone with good reception.

The Nokia 3589i is reputed to have excellent reception.
May 24, 2004 6:13:48 PM

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Can't agree with your comments in re the Audiovox 8600 - you might have
the
> unit checked.
>
> I find it's performance to be more than "good" and the phone book
interface
> is fine for me. I also don't find the problems you report when syncing
with
> Quicklink. The speakerphone could be louder, but it's acceptable unless
> you're in a very noisy environment.
>
> You're entitled to your opinion, but my experience tells me the 8600 is a
> solid performer.....
>
> PC

I have to disagree with you on the 8600's RF performance. Out of the
current phone lineup, its one of the worst performers RF wise. Not saying
its terrible but if you go into a weaker signal area, it will drop a call
faster than most of the other phones out right now. The phone book
interface is fine IMO.

KC
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:56:58 AM

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message news:<hkbsc.18232$PU5.12245@fed1read06>...

> I'm partial, right now, to the Audiovox 8600 - I like the phonebook software
> and operation along with the data access, etc., that I use quite a lot as I
> travel extensively. Living in San Diego and traveling to Washington, DC
> provides the added bonus that those two areas have "1X" active.....

All of VZW's network has been overlaid with 1xRTT.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 3:30:00 AM

"XFF" <xff@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>> I'm partial, right now, to the Audiovox 8600 - I like the phonebook
>> software and operation along with the data access, etc., that I use
>> quite a lot as I travel extensively. Living in San Diego and
>> traveling to Washington, DC provides the added bonus that those two
>> areas have "1X" active.....
>
> All of VZW's network has been overlaid with 1xRTT.

Not to mention that he specifically mentions two areas with broadband, but
that is *NOT* available on the phone he uses! Think it's possible that he
misunderstands things and doesn't know that he can use the 8600 on 1x almost
everywhere in the country, instead of just the two places he thinks?
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 5:14:36 AM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
| "XFF" <xff@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
| > "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
| >
| >> I'm partial, right now, to the Audiovox 8600 - I like the phonebook
| >> software and operation along with the data access, etc., that I use
| >> quite a lot as I travel extensively. Living in San Diego and
| >> traveling to Washington, DC provides the added bonus that those two
| >> areas have "1X" active.....
| >
| > All of VZW's network has been overlaid with 1xRTT.
|
| Not to mention that he specifically mentions two areas with broadband, but
| that is *NOT* available on the phone he uses! Think it's possible that he
| misunderstands things and doesn't know that he can use the 8600 on 1x
almost
| everywhere in the country, instead of just the two places he thinks?

I understand perfectly but plead guilty to being the victim of a "brain
fart".....:)  Don't know what I was thinking when I typed that out!

I hope you never have one....:)

In any event, let's not confuse my error with the good qualities of the
phone.....:)

PC
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 7:15:01 PM

"AJB" <dacalypsomon@yahoo.com.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,

> I'm finally leaving Sprint PCS and to Verizon. My question is about the
> phones, I have no landline so I need a phone with good reception. Right
know
> I'm looking at the Samsung SCH-a530s, Motorola V60s and the LG VX4600, but
> know nothing about them. One other thing that is important is the size;
I'm
> looking for something small.

The problem you'll have is that the smallest phones don't have AMPS. For
good reception, go with the Motorola V60s or the Nokia 3589i. Avoid the
4600.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 12:38:08 AM

> I'm finally leaving Sprint PCS and to Verizon. My question is about the
> phones, I have no landline so I need a phone with good reception. Right know

If you have no landline, then I'm assuming that your biggest concern
in reception in your house. If you live in an good verzon-coverage
area (try a friend's phone, see if you have 3+ bars in all sorts of
weird corners of your house ie:basement), then don't worry about phone
RF quality. Verizon's service is likely to be good enough that you'll
get a signal most of the time with any phone if you're driving around.

If you need good reception, I have found the Startac 7868 to be the
best (although it is quite old). Others have differing opinion, you
can see lists of posts on this forum.

-MVL
June 1, 2004 7:17:05 PM

MVL <mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com> wrote:
: > I'm finally leaving Sprint PCS and to Verizon. My question is about the
: > phones, I have no landline so I need a phone with good reception. Right know

: If you have no landline, then I'm assuming that your biggest concern
: in reception in your house. If you live in an good verzon-coverage
: area (try a friend's phone, see if you have 3+ bars in all sorts of
: weird corners of your house ie:basement), then don't worry about phone
: RF quality.

The number of bars means little when you are talking about different
phones. One bar on one type of phone could equal two bars on
another type. My Nokia 3589i sort of "underestimates" signal strength
compared to other phones, for example - even with one bar (out of
about six) it will work very well. I recommend the 3589i as a cheap
but good phone with great reception also.

You don't even need to borrow a friend's phone to try Verizon. You
can sign up with Verizon for a 15-day free trial, without even porting
your number. Sign up, take take the phone home, try it out. You'll
have a new number, but if you decide to keep the phone, have them port
your old number from Sprint when you are ready. That's what I did and
haven't looked back.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 12, 2004 11:54:23 PM

Thanks for all the input. I've done a little research on Phone Scoop and
right know I'm looking at the Samsung SCH-A530 and the Audiovox CDM-8600.

It seems that many of you are happy with the 8600. However I think I'm
leaning more towards the A5300. The only thing I'm worried about is that it
is all-digital. I almost never use analog on my current phone with sprint,
but I travel from Princeton, NJ into New York everyday and think I may need
it in the subway; current phone gets no reception in the subway.

Anyone have any Pro and Cons for the A5300?

Thanks again

AJB
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 4:39:21 AM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:54:23 -0500, "AJB" <dacalypsomon@yahoo.com.com>
wrote:
>The only thing I'm worried about is that it
>is all-digital. I almost never use analog on my current phone with sprint,
>but I travel from Princeton, NJ into New York everyday and think I may need
>it in the subway; current phone gets no reception in the subway.

I think you'll find that Verizon's coverage is better than Sprint's. And
although I don't make that commute, I'm confident that you'll have a
Verizon digital signal for the whole trip.

But no phone, digital or analog, will work reliably in the NYC subway.
!