DSL cable ?

I have, I think, DSL with the cable company. I told them when they wired the
room that I needed the cable to reach to the other side of the room. As the
guy was somewhat of a X#$%^^XCVFFA he told me that "I cannot run the cable
any further than what you have your current setup". Okay, had dropped phone
service so accepted that. I need to know what kind of cord I need to ask for
to extend this to the other side of the room. I am somewhat disabled so I
cannot get down and look at the connections back there. Essentially it is
just the same connections as the USB cords is it not? Can someone help me on
this? I will need to get the cable before my son comes out to run it for me.
I hate to have him travel 48 miles to unplug it in back to look at it, go
home, then I go get the cable 32 miles away and then have to get him back out
here again to run the cable. Especially at the price of gas now!!

Many thanks in advance,
TC & GB
Cliff
4 answers Last reply
More about cable

    thecowboyace wrote:
    > I have, I think, DSL with the cable company. I told them when they
    > wired the room that I needed the cable to reach to the other side of
    > the room. As the guy was somewhat of a X#$%^^XCVFFA he told me that
    > "I cannot run the cable any further than what you have your current
    > setup". Okay, had dropped phone service so accepted that. I need to
    > know what kind of cord I need to ask for to extend this to the other
    > side of the room. I am somewhat disabled so I cannot get down and
    > look at the connections back there. Essentially it is just the same
    > connections as the USB cords is it not? Can someone help me on this?
    > I will need to get the cable before my son comes out to run it for
    > me. I hate to have him travel 48 miles to unplug it in back to look
    > at it, go home, then I go get the cable 32 miles away and then have
    > to get him back out here again to run the cable. Especially at the
    > price of gas now!!

    Okay - let's see. First off, usually the "Cable Company" offers "Cable
    Modems" since the internet comes through your cable connection. The "Phone
    company" (and some Sattelite TV providers) offer some form of DSL (different
    initials/type dependent on what they can/chose to provide.)

    As for what the guy told you when he was out, it sounds reasonable. He is
    likely the technician to get the DSL/Cable Modem working - NOT the
    cable-monkey for his particular line of work. He might not have the skills
    or might even risk termination if he runs a cable and something goes awry.

    As for extending the service across the room, I assume (in either cable or
    dsl) you have some sort of "modem" they installed. From this is a Category
    5/5e/6 Networking Cable that connects it either to your PC or to a
    hub/switch/router. That cable is the only thing you really have to worry
    about on your end. The "modem" gives you the access, the cable allows you
    to choose what has that access.

    Understand that most DSL/Cable Internet providers limit the number of IPs
    their customers get without paying more money.. Some limit it even if they
    pay more money. Therefore, you would need a Cable/DSL Router in order to
    ustilize more than one computer behind that single Cable/DSL modem. Your
    modem would plug into the proper connections then the Category 5/5e/6
    networking cable would go from it to the Router's WAN port. Then it would
    have 4 to 24 ports to plug other cables in and it could even have Wireless
    access.

    In any case, the most dependable way to use these services (as I have
    implied above) is through Ethernet (Network) cabling. Some of the modems
    (mosty) allow you to connect via USB if you do not have a Network Card in a
    computer, but that greatly limits expandability, legth from the modem, etc.
    You really should splurge and get the $3-$75 Network card. If you (for
    whatever reason) got a modem that has nothing but USB, my suggestion is to
    get it exchanged and get one that allows networking cable and get a network
    card installed in your machine - you'll be much happier and this will work
    much better.

    Also - call the company that installed this - unless you order something
    over the phone, they won't charge you for technical support.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > access.
    >
    > In any case, the most dependable way to use these services (as I have
    > implied above) is through Ethernet (Network) cabling. Some of the modems
    > (mosty) allow you to connect via USB if you do not have a Network Card in
    > computer, but that greatly limits expandability, legth from the modem,
    etc.
    > You really should splurge and get the $3-$75 Network card. If you (for
    > whatever reason) got a modem that has nothing but USB, my suggestion is to
    > get it exchanged and get one that allows networking cable and get a
    network
    > card installed in your machine - you'll be much happier and this will work
    > much better.
    >
    > Also - call the company that installed this - unless you order something
    > over the phone, they won't charge you for technical support.

    He'll have to figure out the length of the cable when routed around the
    corners etc. (plus 10%). He'll need the terminators/connectors that go on
    both ends. He'll need a crimping tool for these which includes the
    stripping tool as well. If running along the baseboard or wall, will need
    plastic retainers with built-in nails to hold the cable. The bigger Radio
    Shack outlets carry all this stuff.

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > He'll have to figure out the length of the cable when routed around
    > the corners etc. (plus 10%). He'll need the terminators/connectors
    > that go on both ends. He'll need a crimping tool for these which
    > includes the stripping tool as well. If running along the baseboard
    > or wall, will need plastic retainers with built-in nails to hold the
    > cable. The bigger Radio Shack outlets carry all this stuff.

    Or he could just buy a 50ft cable from Best Buy.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Yep, understand if I fry it I bought it. It is not a telephone connection
    type wire back there. I had asked him to place the master stuff at 32" with
    everything right there. Then I wanted a cable run from the MASTER BOX to the
    single computer.

    Also are you saying that we can only have my computer hooked up to the DSL
    and not both. There has never been a time that both of us have been on line
    at the same time even when we both had separate dedicated telephone lines.
    Dropped them and just put my computer on the DSL circuit.
    > <- Shenan ->

DSL Microsoft Cable Windows XP Product