upgrade from 98se

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I purchased XP home and when I try and install it as
upgrade to 98se it goes through the whole installation and
then on reboot it stops and says (windows could not start
because the following file is missing or corrupt. windows
toot\system32\hal.dll
The knowledge base said this is a known problem and to try
the installation again. I did that 3 times and get the
same result. Any ideas?

Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of an Error in...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326671&Product=winxp

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or
Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316639

Clean Install Windows XP (Optional)

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Michael" wrote:

| I purchased XP home and when I try and install it as
| upgrade to 98se it goes through the whole installation and
| then on reboot it stops and says (windows could not start
| because the following file is missing or corrupt. windows
| toot\system32\hal.dll
| The knowledge base said this is a known problem and to try
| the installation again. I did that 3 times and get the
| same result. Any ideas?

Does this mean i lose all of my other programs that are
installed on 98se?
us;326671&Product=winxp

>Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
us;307726

>HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or
>Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;316639

>Clean Install Windows XP (Optional)
>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
>[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens
>
>--
>Carey Frisch
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows XP - Shell/User
>
>Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.a
spx

-----------------

>"Michael" wrote:
>
>| I purchased XP home and when I try and install it as
>| upgrade to 98se it goes through the whole installation
and
>| then on reboot it stops and says (windows could not
start
>| because the following file is missing or corrupt.
windows
>| toot\system32\hal.dll
>| The knowledge base said this is a known problem and to
try
>| the installation again. I did that 3 times and get the
>| same result. Any ideas?
>.

If I do a clean install does this mean I lose the programs
I have on 98SE?