Sign in with
Your question

Extreme low FPS in Oblivion.

Last response: in Video Games
December 23, 2007 11:33:00 AM

Well, I had this problem for quite some time now, but now it's really starting to bug me.
I've tried alot, but nothing seems to solve it.
It doesn't seem to care on what settings I play, because I tried setting it to low, very low or very high.
I keep getting around 10-20 FPS in small places, like dungeons, 8-15 FPS outside and 0-10 FPS in a battle.
My specs:

Intel Pentium 4 - 2,8 Gig
1 Gb of RAM
GeForce 7600 GS

I know my PC isn't the best around, but I've seen numerous posts from people whom don't have
any problems and they have the same, or even worse specs.
This isn't only in Oblivion by the way, it's the same with most other games.

-

I just did a test with 3DMark06, I had an average FPS of 3 and a score of 1837 :sweat:  .
December 23, 2007 1:51:04 PM

Chronologic said:

My specs:

Intel Pentium 4 - 2,8 Gig
1 Gb of RAM
GeForce 7600 GS

Those aren't you're specs at all!!

Is that a socket 478 or 775 P4? Is it a Northwood or Prescott core?
Is that DDR or DDR2 RAM. What is the CAS timing of this (quite critical on Intel platforms)?
Is that GeForce 7600GS AGP or PCIe, 256Mb or 512Mb?

Let me guess have an educated guess:
P4 CPU socket 478, Northwood core, 512Kbytes cache
DDR Ram, 2x 512Mb CAS2.5
7600GS, 256Mb, AGP
Do I win a prize?

Maybe you could confirm these 'real' specs for your system first!!

Thanks

Bob
December 23, 2007 1:58:08 PM

Indeed, you do.
Sorry, I didn't know where to find these accurate results.
Related resources
December 23, 2007 2:32:05 PM

bobwya said:
Those aren't you're specs at all!!

Is that a socket 478 or 775 P4? Is it a Northwood or Prescott core?
Is that DDR or DDR2 RAM. What is the CAS timing of this (quite critical on Intel platforms)?
Is that GeForce 7600GS AGP or PCIe, 256Mb or 512Mb?

Let me guess have an educated guess:
P4 CPU socket 478, Northwood core, 512Kbytes cache
DDR Ram, 2x 512Mb CAS2.5
7600GS, 256Mb, AGP
Do I win a prize?

Maybe you could confirm these 'real' specs for your system first!!

Thanks

Bob

I played on a system nearly identical to the low end one you described. I was able to run oblivion at 1024x768 at fairly high settings and got a consistent 30 fps. Chronologic, you could be experiencing a driver installation issue. Is performance in windows slow? Have games always run this poorly on your setup? You should definitely be getting better performance. Overheating is always a potential issue as well.
December 23, 2007 2:37:54 PM

My performance in windows is okay, never had any trouble.
Yes, games always run like this.

Temps:

(Idle)
Motherboard 28 °C
CPU 47 °C
GPU 51 °C
Seagate ST3120022A 30 °C

(In-game while outside)
Motherboard 28 °C
CPU 52 °C
GPU 60 °C
Seagate ST3120022A 30 °C
December 23, 2007 2:54:05 PM

Hi

Sorry I am suffering a bit from sleep deprivation!!

Uhmm CPUz (Google on it) is a simple utility that shows what CPU stepping, frequency, cache you have; motherboard model/manufacturer and data on RAM manufacturer and detailed timings. It would be useful to see the output from this!!

Maybe you could also run the Windows XP diagnostic tool for DirectX issues: dxdiag. Just type in dxdiag
at the RUN prompt on the START menu. It will run through and test for conflicts between drivers and test the 3D drawing API's for DX7, DX8 and DX9...

What nForce drivers version are you using - perhaps this could be an issue? Especially so if you system is stable for CPU intensive tasks but slow with games!!

Bob
December 23, 2007 6:09:52 PM

Hi Chronlogic,

I see I was on the nose with your system specs (heh heh).

SIS and VIA Chipsets are generally the budget end of the market. That is the BUDGET end!! I would personally only buy Intel (CPU) boards with Nvidia or Intel chipsets...

Your FSB is only 400Mhz so RAM isn't operating in dual channel mode. The P4 suffers a lot with RAM latency as the pipeline in the Northwood core is like 28 stages or so!! I used to run a Northwood and they are OK but only at 800Mhz FSB (dual-channel 400FSB 1:1 memory).
The board only supports 4x AGP which is going to cause you all kinds of issues as I am sure that graphics card would only work properly in an 8x slot (isn't the 7600GS a bridged PCIe board??)

I would loose the lot and get a budget new build system (1.6Ghz Core-2, 2x1024Mb CAS-4 DDR2 800+ RAM, older P31 board and an entry level 512Mb card)!! Maybe Santa could help out :;-):
A bad motherboard old motherboard is going to remain bad whatever you throw at the system!! (BTW It is really worth spending extra and getting a MB with solid capacitors as these age much more slowly than regular Electrolytic capacitors.)

Just my $0.02!!

Bob
December 23, 2007 6:45:01 PM

I'll think about buying a new system.

-

I need an opinion about this, does it look good? :kaola: 
December 23, 2007 8:24:31 PM

Yeh,

My only point was really the system so old it would be hard to find a decent board. I think you would be struggling on E-bay to find a good socket 478 board for the right price (i.e. cheaper than upgrading to a much better system).

The alternative is an AMD socket 939 upgrade where you take your existing RAM with you and buy say a AMD Athlon XP 3800+ (Ebuyer.com have them cheap) and a decent socket 939 on Ebay. I am doing this for a flatmate who has good (CAS2.0) DDR Corsair RAM. I got him a DFI board NForce 4 board + Athlon 64 x2 3800+ CPU. Not a bad deal for about 80 GBP. Mind you RAM prices are so depressed just now that its probably not worth the bother for your value RAM!!

Also the CPU architecture of the Northwood is really crap compared to the Core-2 architecture which has its neat multiway issue (Superscalar) versus a really deep pipeline (Superpipelining) that gives high clocks but also high latency for on-die L1 Cache misses and instruction flow changes (branch instructions).

I am fobbing off my old P4 Prescott system to my sister... It does have one advantage in the Winter it heats your bedroom up to about 100C!! Ahhh probably one the worst processors Intel ever produced!!

For new systems Gigabyte, ASUS (not ASUSTEK), DFI all do good stable motherboards. You really gets what you pays for with the ol' MB. You will find chip boards that the BIOS won't even let you OC the CPU/FSB!!#

Bob

December 24, 2007 4:07:19 AM

I still use a Prescott (3.2 running at 4.0) and it's still quite the tank. Santa's brining me a new rig though, cant wait.
December 24, 2007 10:27:08 PM

You should definitely be getting better frames. I had a Northwood @ 2.4Ghz with 1gb of ddr333 and a Radeon 9800 128mb and it was running great on medium-high settings at 1024x768
December 25, 2007 7:58:26 PM

Mate,

This thread is already closed. The poor guy (Chronologic) has landed up with a rubbish MB that doesn't even show up on the Gigabyte website. It obviously only supports AGP 4x (or is set wrongly the BIOS - unlikely) hence the low framerates...

Bob
!