fellow Asus A7V8X users

randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Hello , I updated the Bios to av8x4m10 (latest one)
my CPU temp dropped 15*c according to pc probe and in the hardware monitor
running 37c instead of 52c
(it usually was warmer than normal due to quiet fans at a sacrifice to temps )
sandra still says 52c
this Bios update bad , anybody else do this ???
or was this a miracle that dropped the temps ??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus plays with the temp readings in both BIOS and Probe revisions. I've actually seen Asus report temperatures that were BELOW AMBIENT (below room temp), which is IMPOSSIBLE with air cooling! So you can't trust the new readings.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It would be nice if it was real, LOL. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't update to that BIOS yet.

This is my first experience with an ASUS board. I've been trying to download the latest BIOS version from their website for a couple of days now, but so far no luck. Has anyone else had this same problem? Is this typical of ASUS's website?

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I finally was able to download the latest BIOS from another site, and after updating it my CPU temp DROPPED by 10* C (44 to 34) and my MOBO temp went UP by 2* C (30 to 32). It would be nice if the temps were real. The new XPs are supposed to run cooler. I have an XP 2400+.

I wonder what are the real temps? Could ASUS have screwed-up this bad? The whole point of the latest BIOS update was to adjust the temp readings, so I can't beleive they would fvck it up.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, but you don't know WHICH REVISION OF ASUS PROBE provides the proper readings with the new BIOS! You see, after switching to a newer revision of Probe that people with another board said was inaccurate, my temps became accurate! Different revisions of Probe vary as widely as different revisions of BIOS.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You'd think that Asus Probe would be accurate on an Asus MOBO! I wonder if it's possible that my CPU idle temp of 34*C is accurate? The new XP core IS supposed to run cooler, but THAT much cooler?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not a chance. It turns out that the hardware is so various between different boards that Asus's built in "corrections" for one board ruin the readings for another. I seriously doubt your readings. In fact, those temps would be below your body temp, so put your finger on it. If it makes your finger warmer, it's warmer than your finger!

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good point.

It mnakes you wonder why ASUS even bothers to includes Probe with their MOBOs.

But the funny thing is that the notes for the latest BIOS version say "Calibrate the reading of CPU temperature in hardware monitor". So, if the only stated improvement in the latest BIOS is to calibrate the reading of the CPU temp, don't you think it should now be MORE ACCURATE, not LESS? That's pretty disappointing coming from a top manufacturer like ASUS.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It probably is MORE ACCURATE for the specific version of Probe they designed it for, and less accurate for other versions!

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I have the version of Probe that came with my MOBO, so you would think it be accurate.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, you would think so, but alas, the version I told you I had problems with also came with my board. The version that came with the A7V133 worked fine with my board, and the version that came with my board worked fine with the A7V133, but not vice versa. Asus probe is notoriously unreliable, if you want to find out which version is accurate, use MBM5 for comparison. Or just use MBM5 to begin with and skip Probe.

randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
hello again , is sandra reliable or where do u get mbm5??

what about hardware monitor in the Bios
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by randy66 on 11/22/02 07:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I usually do use MBM, but I figured why not use Asus Probe since it was designed for the MOBO, LOL.

I have to wonder if MBM will report accurate temps, because the hardware monitor in the BIOS is also showing the low temps. Wouldn't MBM get the same information that the BIOS gets?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
MBM5 COULD be getting it from BIOS, or it COULD be getting it directly from the sensors.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tried MBM. MBM shows 3 sensors. 2 of the sensors display the same temps that Asus Probe does for the MOBO and CPU temps. The third sensor shows a temp of 61*C! And that's at IDLE.

The MOBO temp of 31*C seems about right, but the other 2 temps of 34*C and 61*C seem way off. There's no way the CPU is either of those temps.

WTF?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, so much for accurate monitoring of system temps!

Everything seems cool and it's running fine, so I ain't gonna worry about it.

Maybe the next BIOS update will take care of the problem. Or make it worse, LOL.

Thanks for your help.