DISK DRIVE ERROR

September 12, 2004 9:45:50 PM

I am very illiterate when it comes to computers so I'm
hoping someone can help. I had just signed online when my
computer froze and it restarted itself but within seconds
I received a message saying "A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart," and so I did and it
restarted but the same message continued to appear. What
can I do to fix this problem? I'd really appreciate the
help.

(Running a Toshiba laptop)

SweeTMassacre1O3@aol.com

More about : disk drive error

Anonymous
September 13, 2004 1:02:06 AM

Hi Nez,

Download a drive diagnostic tool from the web site of the drive
manufacturer. These free utilities commonly run from a bootable floppy and
will tell you the condition of the drive.

You might also try booting the WinXP CD and loading the Recovery Console by
hitting "r" when prompted. Logon with the administrator password. From the
command prompt, run "chkdsk C: /r".

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Nez" <SweeTMassacre1O3@aol.com> wrote in message
>I am very illiterate when it comes to computers so I'm
> hoping someone can help. I had just signed online when my
> computer froze and it restarted itself but within seconds
> I received a message saying "A disk read error occurred
> Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart," and so I did and it
> restarted but the same message continued to appear. What
> can I do to fix this problem? I'd really appreciate the
> help.
>
> (Running a Toshiba laptop)
>
> SweeTMassacre1O3@aol.com

Anonymous
September 13, 2004 1:02:07 AM

Thanks a lot Rick! I'll try and do that and see what
happens. Thanks a lot for the help again.

Nez
!