DISK DRIVE ERROR

I am very illiterate when it comes to computers so I'm
hoping someone can help. I had just signed online when my
computer froze and it restarted itself but within seconds
I received a message saying "A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart," and so I did and it
restarted but the same message continued to appear. What
can I do to fix this problem? I'd really appreciate the
help.

(Running a Toshiba laptop)

SweeTMassacre1O3@aol.com
2 answers Last reply
More about disk drive error

    Hi Nez,

    Download a drive diagnostic tool from the web site of the drive
    manufacturer. These free utilities commonly run from a bootable floppy and
    will tell you the condition of the drive.

    You might also try booting the WinXP CD and loading the Recovery Console by
    hitting "r" when prompted. Logon with the administrator password. From the
    command prompt, run "chkdsk C: /r".

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Nez" <SweeTMassacre1O3@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I am very illiterate when it comes to computers so I'm
    > hoping someone can help. I had just signed online when my
    > computer froze and it restarted itself but within seconds
    > I received a message saying "A disk read error occurred
    > Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart," and so I did and it
    > restarted but the same message continued to appear. What
    > can I do to fix this problem? I'd really appreciate the
    > help.
    >
    > (Running a Toshiba laptop)
    >
    > SweeTMassacre1O3@aol.com

    Thanks a lot Rick! I'll try and do that and see what
    happens. Thanks a lot for the help again.

    Nez

Disk Read Error Disk Drive Windows XP