Sign in with
Your question

ERROR when trying to play Half Life 2 PLEASE HELP!

Last response: in Video Games
December 26, 2007 7:22:54 PM

Ok so i got half life 2 episode 1 and installed it from the disc and everything. I open the game up and try to start a new game on part 1. As it is at the en of the loading screen the bars start going backwards, :ouch:  , then it closed the game and i got this

SO WTF? What is this? I tried everything from reinstalling the game, the drivers, going into the computers console. Screaming at it didnt help either (it usually does :D  )

can anyone help?

More about : error play half life

December 26, 2007 10:38:35 PM

I suppose you tried updating directx?
December 27, 2007 8:18:51 PM

no i didnt... i dont even know how to do that... i do know the problem is the drivers or registry because its an internal problem in the pc... how do i get updates for dx9?

ps im running windows media center with ati x300
Related resources
December 27, 2007 8:27:20 PM

Uninstall and reinstall your soundscard & videocard drivers. Download any available updates for Windows.
December 27, 2007 10:21:20 PM

Try this link -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

This should (eventually - you need to validate windows etc) let you download the latest direct x. I also got an error when running half life 2 - ep 2, but I re-installed my graphics card drivers and all is well. Hope this helps
December 29, 2007 6:52:41 PM

hmmm i downloaded newest direct X update... still no game =[

is it safe to uninstall video drivers then reinstall? Without the drivers wouldn't the screen go blank?
December 29, 2007 7:05:19 PM

No...it'll go default and weak resolution...but when you'll reinstall you're drivers, you'll get back to that resolution again, etc.
December 29, 2007 10:22:06 PM

If your using a Radeon graphics card then it could be drivers. My friend had problems loading half-life2 based games after he upgraded his drivers. Installing an earlier version fixed it.
December 30, 2007 12:28:10 AM

Update your video card drivers. Problem solved.
!