thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Hmm, this may sound off, but does anyone know of any Role Playing Games out there in which you can use guns? Like, rifles or whatever. I have been so caught up in FPS games lately that i forgot all about FPS and have no idea which ones came out.

So uhhhh, yea :bounce: .

vincio_filiarum

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Fallout 3 is the upcoming one that springs to mind - and, as a corollary, fallout, fallout 2 and fallout tactics will as well. They are some of the best games ever made; definately some of the best RPG's, however they are a bit oldschool (fallout was like 1998 or summat...)

Erm... as for recent, ones... only Hellgate: London that springs to mind, having played bits of it, its very much like Diablo 2... only with a Half-life 2 engine. In that its gameplay has not advanced one iota from Diablo. But if you loved Diablo, you'll love Hellgate.

Only other ones that you might be interested in is Oblivion and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - they dont have guns, but they are first-person. Dark messiah is pretty pants but can be well entertaining (Its all about kicking people into spikes and off cliffs), I'm sure you've heard of oblivion.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Erm... as for recent, ones... only Hellgate: London that springs to mind, having played bits of it, its very much like Diablo 2... only with a Half-life 2 engine. In that its gameplay has not advanced one iota from Diablo. But if you loved Diablo, you'll love Hellgate.
It is like Diablo II except there is only 5 monters reskinned... oh, and every Act has the same exact environments (ruined city or sewer)... oh, there are no sets either... hmm, it also isn't fun... I guess you get to crash a lot in it as well. Ah, the storyline and narrative is piss poor as well, but other than that, it's exactly like Diablo II. (If you can't tell, I own the game and extremely dissatisfied with it)

As for RPG's with guns... Fallout is definitely the way to go. I still own every Fallout game and they are all extremely fun. :)

vincio_filiarum

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
It is like Diablo II except there is only 5 monters reskinned... oh, and every Act has the same exact environments (ruined city or sewer)... oh, there are no sets either... hmm, it also isn't fun... I guess you get to crash a lot in it as well. Ah, the storyline and narrative is piss poor as well

Well... wasn't that like diablo 2 in every respect? most monsters were just reskinned clones for one another (walking dead, shambolic dead, zombies... you get the picture). And there were only 4 or 5 (if you count Lord of Destruction) landscapes all recycled with the same monotony, just the same features in a different order. And the storyline was... well, on the more teenage-incredulous end of epic-fantasy, what with the prophesies and doomed portents and tragic-heroes (and that brilliant streak of humour that gave us Wirt's leg)... and the obligatory gandalf\ben-kenobi stalwart in Cain. Original... yea... And as for bugs, I'll grant you, it didnt crash that much but there was at least 6 patches to get the gameply right before it was balanced...

so, no, its not that much of a leap, just a different engine. And the point, I suspect, was that if you loved Diablo 2 despite its failings, and cared not for any developments since, than Hellgate:London is along the same lines.

But fallout... ahhhh, genius. Roll on Fallout 3!

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Well, I know it isn't a PC game, but Mass Effect definitely gets my vote.

If you haven't played them yet, the KOTOR games are excellent.

Arcanum if you havn't gotten around to it.

Fallout 3 is coming and I can't wait.

I think the problems with Hellgate London are that it had the same problems as Diablo II only more exaggerated. Yeah Diablo had reskinned monsters, but it had a fairly large variety when you counted them all up. Yeah Diablo II had fairly repetitive environments but it had at least 5 times the variety of Hellgate London. I haven't given Hellgate London a chance yet, but it doesn't sound too impressive.

Also if you haven't ever gotten around to it definitely look up Jagged Alliance 2.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Stalker is, "meant" to be a RPG and it sort of is. Its fun once you get mods for cars and stuff. Anyway thats my 2 bob.

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Those are some really nice games you mentioned, il try out stalker, but it isn't really what i wanted. I wanted something like Neverwinter nights with the top down camera, if you know what i mean.

Still, some of these games are classics and i really enjoyed played them in their day.