I have an HP Pavilion 5300 running Windows XP SP2 with no RS-232 Serial
ports. I have purchased 2 different manufactures USB to RS-232 cables and
haven't fouund the trick to make them work correctly. I'm interfacing to,
what amounts to a VT 100 dumb terminal sending ASCII data.

The last cable I purchased was a Radio Shack 26-183 USB to Serial Cable.
Has anyone else had problems like mine or know what I can do help rectify
this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Similar problem I need to talk to a machine tool by RS232, laptops only have
USB devices.
Have not found a real solution as different USB to RS232 cables give
different results with different laptops.

If somebody knows of a reliable USB to RS232 serial cable I would also be
interested.

Andy B

"Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Pavilion 5300 running Windows XP SP2 with no RS-232 Serial
> ports. I have purchased 2 different manufactures USB to RS-232 cables and
> haven't fouund the trick to make them work correctly. I'm interfacing to,
> what amounts to a VT 100 dumb terminal sending ASCII data.
>
> The last cable I purchased was a Radio Shack 26-183 USB to Serial Cable.
> Has anyone else had problems like mine or know what I can do help rectify
> this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

Have you considered a USB to serial port adapter, with a standard serial
cable? There are two general serial cable types, null modem (printer) and
modem cables. Each are designed as noted for their corresponding purpose.
"Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an HP Pavilion 5300 running Windows XP SP2 with no RS-232 Serial
> ports. I have purchased 2 different manufactures USB to RS-232 cables and
> haven't fouund the trick to make them work correctly. I'm interfacing to,
> what amounts to a VT 100 dumb terminal sending ASCII data.
>
> The last cable I purchased was a Radio Shack 26-183 USB to Serial Cable.
> Has anyone else had problems like mine or know what I can do help rectify
> this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

you can try a device from black box inc... i dont remenmber the exactly
model but i have used one and its works very well.