USB to RS232

I have an HP Pavilion 5300 running Windows XP SP2 with no RS-232 Serial
ports. I have purchased 2 different manufactures USB to RS-232 cables and
haven't fouund the trick to make them work correctly. I'm interfacing to,
what amounts to a VT 100 dumb terminal sending ASCII data.

The last cable I purchased was a Radio Shack 26-183 USB to Serial Cable.
Has anyone else had problems like mine or know what I can do help rectify
this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!
3 answers Last reply
More about rs232

    Similar problem I need to talk to a machine tool by RS232, laptops only have
    USB devices.
    Have not found a real solution as different USB to RS232 cables give
    different results with different laptops.

    If somebody knows of a reliable USB to RS232 serial cable I would also be
    interested.

    Andy B

    "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an HP Pavilion 5300 running Windows XP SP2 with no RS-232 Serial
    > ports. I have purchased 2 different manufactures USB to RS-232 cables and
    > haven't fouund the trick to make them work correctly. I'm interfacing to,
    > what amounts to a VT 100 dumb terminal sending ASCII data.
    >
    > The last cable I purchased was a Radio Shack 26-183 USB to Serial Cable.
    > Has anyone else had problems like mine or know what I can do help rectify
    > this problem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help!

    Have you considered a USB to serial port adapter, with a standard serial
    cable? There are two general serial cable types, null modem (printer) and
    modem cables. Each are designed as noted for their corresponding purpose.
    "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an HP Pavilion 5300 running Windows XP SP2 with no RS-232 Serial
    > ports. I have purchased 2 different manufactures USB to RS-232 cables and
    > haven't fouund the trick to make them work correctly. I'm interfacing to,
    > what amounts to a VT 100 dumb terminal sending ASCII data.
    >
    > The last cable I purchased was a Radio Shack 26-183 USB to Serial Cable.
    > Has anyone else had problems like mine or know what I can do help rectify
    > this problem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help!

    you can try a device from black box inc... i dont remenmber the exactly
    model but i have used one and its works very well.
    "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> escreveu na mensagem
    > Have you considered a USB to serial port adapter, with a standard serial
    > cable? There are two general serial cable types, null modem (printer) and
    > modem cables. Each are designed as noted for their corresponding purpose.
    > "Rednosebob" <Rednosebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I have an HP Pavilion 5300 running Windows XP SP2 with no RS-232 Serial
    >> ports. I have purchased 2 different manufactures USB to RS-232 cables
    >> and
    >> haven't fouund the trick to make them work correctly. I'm interfacing
    >> to,
    >> what amounts to a VT 100 dumb terminal sending ASCII data.
    >>
    >> The last cable I purchased was a Radio Shack 26-183 USB to Serial Cable.
    >> Has anyone else had problems like mine or know what I can do help rectify
    >> this problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help!

USB Cable Windows XP